Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   afm / dod delete kit questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588394)

morepowerjoe 02-15-2021 10:50 AM

afm / dod delete kit questions

Hey guys I was hoping that some of you could help me with a afm / dod delete kit questions. I was wondering if anyone knows if this kit from AMS https://www.amsracing.net/collection...-bolts-lifters
is a good kit and about how much horsepower it makes? Or the stage 2? Is there a better one out there that supplies the tune? Also was thinking of doing a trunnion kit for the rockers if you guys think that I should. I just was hoping for around 400 hp to the wheel. I don't even know if that's possible with a cam change. I'm also looking for some coated long tubes and full exhaust kit. I'm sorry for all the questions in one thread. I appreciate any help. Thanks
Joe

Bigdumogre 02-15-2021 10:59 AM

You can easily get mid 400’s with a cam and long tubes with tune. Maybe get in contact with the guys over at complete street performance or rdp or gpi and they can get you quality kit and remote tune setup.

Rmkuper 02-15-2021 11:18 AM

Unless your car has very low miles I would recommend replacing the oil pump and the timing chain. If you have the $$ I woukd get the heads ported also. They are going to have to come off anyway. As far as HP I would not get hung up on the numbers with an L99. You can put the same upgrades on a LS3 and they are always going to beat you on the dyno. But on the track where it counts is a different story. With that said L99 bone stock your probably looking at 326-340 whp. I'm not familiar with that kit but I would say 400whp is probably a stretch without any other mods. Again it's just a number when it comes to the L99. You will find that most guys go with GPI or TSP I would at least take a look there before making a decision. If your looking for long tubes take a look at TSP if your on a budget look at speed engineering. I have the epeed engineering and have been pretty happy so far.

If a number is your goal download TrackAddict on your phone or take your car to the strip. Focus on 8th and 1/4 mi. Times.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

morepowerjoe 02-15-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmkuper (Post 10956029)
Unless your car has very low miles I would recommend replacing the oil pump and the timing chain. If you have the $$ I woukd get the heads ported also. They are going to have to come off anyway. As far as HP I would not get hung up on the numbers with an L99. You can put the same upgrades on a LS3 and they are always going to beat you on the dyno. But on the track where it counts is a different story. With that said L99 bone stock your probably looking at 326-340 whp. I'm not familiar with that kit but I would say 400whp is probably a stretch without any other mods. Again it's just a number when it comes to the L99. You will find that most guys go with GPI or TSP I would at least take a look there before making a decision. If your looking for long tubes take a look at TSP if your on a budget look at speed engineering. I have the epeed engineering and have been pretty happy so far.

If a number is your goal download TrackAddict on your phone or take your car to the strip. Focus on 8th and 1/4 mi. Times.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Yeah I replaced the oil pump and timing chain along with the rear main gaskets about a month ago. I have 156k right now but the engine looked like brand new inside. I even primed the oil pump through the oil passage on the side of the block but when I first started the engine it had a bunch of lifters tapping so I turned it off real quick. Then restarted it and they all got quite in about ten seconds but now one lifter is making a ticking sound that comes and goes so I decided that I need to go ahead and do the afm delete. I

I'm on a budget of about $2000. And I guess I'm going to do the work myself even though I'm not in a hurry.

gunchamp 02-15-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 10956009)
Hey guys I was hoping that some of you could help me with a afm / dod delete kit questions. I was wondering if anyone knows if this kit from AMS https://www.amsracing.net/collection...-bolts-lifters
is a good kit and about how much horsepower it makes? Or the stage 2? Is there a better one out there that supplies the tune? Also was thinking of doing a trunnion kit for the rockers if you guys think that I should. I just was hoping for around 400 hp to the wheel. I don't even know if that's possible with a cam change. I'm also looking for some coated long tubes and full exhaust kit. I'm sorry for all the questions in one thread. I appreciate any help. Thanks
Joe

You can easily get that number with a cam and then some. Long tubes and a good tune. I can fully recommend GPI (Gwatney performance). Those guys are on point and can easily hook you up with what you will need

morepowerjoe 02-15-2021 12:29 PM

What do you guys recommend for the rockers. Can I leave them alone or do I need to do the trunnion upgrade?

Bigdumogre 02-15-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 10956094)
What do you guys recommend for the rockers. Can I leave them alone or do I need to do the trunnion upgrade?

You have over 150k miles I would do it to be on the safe side.

morepowerjoe 02-15-2021 12:42 PM

Thanks guys for your input.

SSkat 02-15-2021 12:43 PM

Yeah I would trunnions and oil pump for sure. I also did oil cooler delete with mine to prevent any future leaks. You could do long tubes and cam only and be at 430 wheel with the stock converter.

morepowerjoe 02-15-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSkat (Post 10956106)
Yeah I would trunnions and oil pump for sure. I also did oil cooler delete with mine to prevent any future leaks. You could do long tubes and cam only and be at 430 wheel with the stock converter.

Do you know if the oil cooler will get in the way of long tubes? Or did you just do it for leaks only? Because I replaced all the gaskets on the oil pan, rear main, and oil cooler too and still have a single small drip on the oil cooler. I think it comes from that plug on it.

SSkat 02-15-2021 01:16 PM

Oil cooler shouldnt be a clearance issue with the long tubes. My installer/tuner did the delete just because of that drip reason.

Tarendor 02-15-2021 01:23 PM

The oil cooler didn't get in my way with the long tubes but I removed it anyway as a precaution and it would have been in my way later with my mods. But no issue with long tubes.

Also I reccomend GPI for this.

(Dod delete, ss3 cam, trunion upgrade, springs, push rods, timing chain, tensioner, oil pump, 25% ud pully, heads, long tubes, cats delete, xpipe, muffler delete, stall, cai intake, rod mod and tbody netted me 426 rwhp before I turbocharged it)

gunchamp 02-15-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 10956120)
Do you know if the oil cooler will get in the way of long tubes? Or did you just do it for leaks only? Because I replaced all the gaskets on the oil pan, rear main, and oil cooler too and still have a single small drip on the oil cooler. I think it comes from that plug on it.

My oil cooler got pitched due to a leak that developed after I removed it. It does not hurt a thing to lose it and one less spot for a leak to develop. Frees up some room there too and gets rid of a little weight.

gunchamp 02-15-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 10956094)

Trunions would be good. I have smith brothers kit. It works well. No need to worry about a bunch of needle bearings in your oil