Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Curb Weight of Z/28 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323776)

90503 10-18-2013 10:23 AM

Curb Weight of Z/28

I sort of recall the discussions about the Z/28's weight reduction as possibly coming in less than what was possibly claimed. Then I noticed in the press releases the weight is "300 lbs" less than the ZL-1...that's fine..

But I thought perhaps we might have been given a surprise that the weight came in considerably less than expected....guess not...

Am I missing something here? Was the weight reduction not as much as we hoped? Anybody else hoped it would have been closer to 3700 or even 3600 lbs? Maybe it's a non-issue at this juncture....I just sort of recall a lot of speculation that we may have been pleasantly surprised by a lower figure...

....Just curious if anybody else has any thoughts or opinions....Was all that effort really worth it for what the final figure came in at?...

mlee 10-18-2013 10:28 AM

Seeing that the ZL1 has an extra 250 lbs in the rear end and the Z/28 does not have that rear end I think a better comparison would be against the SS. So I guess I agree with you that weight reduction is not as impressive as I would have liked.

Mikamaro 10-18-2013 10:50 AM

IT tips the scales at 3,837 pounds

Bhobbs 10-18-2013 11:21 AM

With the weight reduction they did, I don't understand how it weighs as much as the SS. I was under the impression it was down around 3,760 lbs.

mlee 10-18-2013 12:13 PM

Yeah, it's kind of a wash... they eliminated the extra weight of the ZL1 back to SS weight.

I guess the extra coolers and fluids balance out the A/C, Speakers, Wheels, and rear window savings

2cnd chance 10-18-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7104369)
With the weight reduction they did, I don't understand how it weighs as much as the SS. I was under the impression it was down around 3,760 lbs.

Yes I agree. I was surprised it was over 3,800.

If you start with a 1LE and add/subtract the items they did I thought we were looking at 3,750(?). :confused:

Bhobbs 10-18-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 7104650)
Yes I agree. I was surprised it was over 3,800.

If you start with a 1LE and add/subtract the items they did I thought we were looking at 3,750(?). :confused:

Exactly. I don't see where the extra weight comes from other than maybe the diff cooler and dry sump tank.

pgviper 10-18-2013 01:11 PM

I think they did a damn good job keeping it approximately the same weight as an SS.

Seriously guys, compare the two. THe Z/28 has extra coolers everywhere, larger wheels, larger tires, 427 engine with beefier suspension parts, beefier drive train, splitters and downforce parts everywhere. With everything that has been added there is absolutely no increase in weight is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if there are braces in places the SS doesn't have to stiffen the chassis.

From a marketing prespective, why would they say "SAY WEIGHT AS SS BUT WITH A WHOLE BUNCH MORE STUFF!!!!" That sounds ridiculous. Obviously for the news releases they wanted to make it appeal to those that don't understand what it takes to make a track car a real track car.

IMHO, they did an awesome job and i'm sure if you want to shed some more weight there are plenty of places to do it but for this thing to sell, it needs to have somewhat of an interior.

2cnd chance 10-18-2013 01:22 PM

They did do a great even "over the top" job on the Z/28!

Haven't heard about extra bracing. I don't think it's needed with the 5Gen chassis. But as you mentioned the wheels and tires...weigh "not" more, but significantly less. The brakes are much less, the interior, trunk less. Rear glass less. The engine is based on the same SB as the LS3. Hence our surprise.

mlee 10-18-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgviper (Post 7104691)
I think they did a damn good job keeping it approximately the same weight as an SS.

Seriously guys, compare the two. THe Z/28 has extra coolers everywhere, larger wheels, larger tires, 427 engine with beefier suspension parts, beefier drive train, splitters and downforce parts everywhere. With everything that has been added there is absolutely no increase in weight is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if there are braces in places the SS doesn't have to stiffen the chassis.

From a marketing prespective, why would they say "SAY WEIGHT AS SS BUT WITH A WHOLE BUNCH MORE STUFF!!!!" That sounds ridiculous. Obviously for the news releases they wanted to make it appeal to those that don't understand what it takes to make a track car a real track car.

IMHO, they did an awesome job and i'm sure if you want to shed some more weight there are plenty of places to do it but for this thing to sell, it needs to have somewhat of an interior.

I know there are things I'm unaware of but the ZL1 has the beefier drivetrain not the Z/28. Sway bars are probably bigger on the Z/28 but suspension shouldn't be any heavier as we have seen underneath in the video. But I will say you are right. I have no idea and do not understand what it takes to make a real track car as this definitely is.

90503 10-18-2013 01:35 PM

Not saying the weight reduction they did wasn't a great achievement at all. But the mantra was they were putting the car on a diet, as they should for a track car....and 300 lbs less than the ZL-1 was the goal....perhaps the "minimum" goal....

I was just surprised a little that that's where it still ended up, given that it was still a work in progress and with orders from the top for a major undertaking to reduce weight. Not criticizing, just wondering why it couldn't have been less.

Mikamaro 10-18-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7104664)
Exactly. I don't see where the extra weight comes from other than maybe the diff cooler and dry sump tank.

an extra 39lbs from the LS7

90503 10-18-2013 03:21 PM

Just for the heck of it, I wonder if there's any way to figure how much weight was removed (theoretically what a lighter-weight SS "could" weigh...??)....Then how much was "added back" from various components for the Z/28 that were heavier, if any....

I think a lot of the curiosity is really what is the lightest these Gen5 Camaros could weigh.....(without getting into the absurd, of course).....The overall weight of these cars has always been sort of a negative for one reason or another...

Just thinking if this weight removal engineering is viable, perhaps it could translate into a lighter-weight 1LE or SS track model...
or even as an "option" for the 6th Gens, if too late for the rest of the 5ths...

Mikamaro 10-18-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 7105073)
Just for the heck of it, I wonder if there's any way to figure how much weight was removed (theoretically what a lighter-weight SS "could" weigh...??)....Then how much was "added back" from various components for the Z/28 that were heavier, if any....

I think a lot of the curiosity is really what is the lightest these Gen5 Camaros could weigh.....(without getting into the absurd, of course).....The overall weight of these cars has always been sort of a negative for one reason or another...

Just thinking if this weight removal engineering is viable, perhaps it could translate into a lighter-weight 1LE or SS track model...
or even as an "option" for the 6th Gens, if too late for the rest of the 5ths...

Here! come back with the result number!! :clap2:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170965
:thumbup: