Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Best short throw shifter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110197)

Robbie1227 10-10-2010 09:35 PM

Best short throw shifter

Ok, I want to upgrade the stock 6 sod manual shifter to a Hurst, MTI, MGW, or Barton shifter, or any other highly recommended shifter.
My bro has a Hurst in his 07 Shelby Mustang and he loves it.
What is the best performing, smoothest, shortest, shifter for the 2010 Camaro SS??? :iono:
I do not want any vibration or additional noise In the cabin that Hurst speaks about on there instructions sheet.
Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Thx,
Rob

Merc 10-10-2010 09:39 PM

MGW you will love it.:thumbsup:

fisherssmoke 10-10-2010 09:46 PM

Looking to replace my Hurst as soon as possible. Looks great, sounds like a vibrater on saturday night.

SSOOCH 10-10-2010 09:54 PM

If anybody's Hurst is vibrating so bad it annoys them it's installed wrong!

Merc 10-10-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisherssmoke (Post 2427305)
Looking to replace my Hurst as soon as possible. Looks great, sounds like a vibrater on saturday night.

MGW now?:iono:

themossman 10-10-2010 10:02 PM

Love the MGW...

mikepage0007 10-10-2010 10:38 PM

mgw

Apex Motorsports 10-11-2010 08:03 AM

A properly installed Hurst with the supplied silencer kit should result in no additional noise or vibration. It isn't for everyone, keep in mind it is a competition shifter and isn't designed for comfort It is designed to get from gear to gear ans quickly as possible. It features a 40% throw reduction but you sacrifice some mechanical leverage which results in more effort to shift.

We recently received an MTI shifter and have been testing it. It is very positive, precise and smooth with zero noise or vibration. It features a 25% throw reduction and some serious engineering. All the vagueness of the stock shifter is gone. I would take a hard look at it.

gHoSt437 10-11-2010 08:32 AM

I installed a Hurst about 5 months ago and love it. It does require a little more effort to shift over stock, but it feels like I have more control and always know what gear I'm in. Only extra noise I've ever noticed was a feint vibrating sound that you can only hear if you push the shifter to a stopping point (say its in 1st and your pushing forward to where its stopped and won't move anymore it causes a slight vibration/noise) other than that it's quiet.

ITGuy11 10-11-2010 10:40 AM

MGW

Robbie1227 10-11-2010 01:21 PM

:iono:Hmmm, anyone else?

Merc 10-11-2010 01:37 PM

Go for the MGW. I'ts a shifter not just a shorter shifter handle. I'ts the real deal.:thumbsup:

11flat 10-11-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercuryman96 (Post 2429307)
Go for the MGW. I'ts a shifter not just a shorter shifter handle. I'ts the real deal.:thumbsup:

What do you mean not just a shorter shifter handle? A shifter is made shorter by moving the point of rotation up, not by simply making the handle sit lower.:facepalm: Barton and Hurst have the shortest throws and their knobs are probably a little higher then the rest. MGW replaces the casting that houses the shifter handle but its still the same principle.
The guys who have the MGW will say MGW. The guys who have the Barton will say Barton. The guys who have Hurst will say Hurst etc...
I have installed them all and IMO Barton cannot be beat.
MGW is very close and it would be a matter of preference, but for $200 less Barton gets my vote.

MGW 10-11-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11flat (Post 2429572)
What do you mean not just a shorter shifter handle? A shifter is made shorter by moving the point of rotation up, not by simply making the handle sit lower.:facepalm: Barton and Hurst have the shortest throws and their knobs are probably a little higher then the rest. MGW replaces the casting that houses the shifter handle but its still the same principle.
The guys who have the MGW will say MGW. The guys who have the Barton will say Barton. The guys who have Hurst will say Hurst etc...
I have installed them all and IMO Barton cannot be beat.
MGW is very close and it would be a matter of preference, but for $200 less Barton gets my vote.

i understand your point of moving the pivot being the same principle but there is MUCH more to making a short shifter besides just making the throw shorter,...

1. the internal springs in the tranny are not robust enough to make 2-3 shifts perfect. the MGW shifter housing has additional springs.

2. the rear mounting design of the stock shifter is mainly focused on eliminating NVH and as a result is WAYYY too spongy and allows the shifter and tranny to torque against each other during hard shifts.

just food for thought....

regards
george