Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fifth Gear Camaro SS vs Challenger SRT8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117557)

69 rs/ss 11-28-2010 06:03 PM

How would other cars do in the rain? Who else would do this kind of test on the track in the rain? I want to see how any car (other than 4WD cars) would do.

King T 11-28-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 rs/ss (Post 2588808)
How would other cars do in the rain? Who else would do this kind of test on the track in the rain? I want to see how any car (other than 4WD cars) would do.

Unfortunately it rains a LOT over there. If they waited for sunny days they would never be able to film a whole season. I use to say the same thing. That it's unfair some cars are tested in the wet and some are on dry tracks. Then I found out about the climate/weather over there and I understood

99SSragtop 11-28-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycamaroisred (Post 2588145)
Lol that guy is stupid and it's an auto poor old man can't drive stick hahaha

Research a person before commenting. Oh Tiff is driving the M3.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkFD26f_EII

Stewbie 11-28-2010 08:52 PM

From wikipedia...

Racing career

Needell first raced at a driving school at Brands Hatch in 1970. He progressed to Formula Ford, his progress assisted by the use of a Lotus 69 FF he won in an Autosport magazine competition.[1] He later sold his Lotus and used the money to buy and race an Elden Mk10. The remainder of the 1970s saw Needell as a front runner in the British Formula 3 series and then in the Aurora British Formula One championship. In 1979 he was unable to graduate to the F1 World Championship due to the lack of the correct licence, but he was back in 1980, driving two Grands Prix for Ensign, qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. However, he had an engine problem and did not finish the race. He subsequently failed to qualify for the Monaco Grand Prix.

In 1988 and 1989 he competed in the British Rallycross Grand Prix in a Metro 6R4 prepared by Will Gollop's motorsport team. He achieved a good result in 1988 finishing 4th in the B-Final in what was his first rallycross event, however, the 1989 event was cancelled due to heavy fog after the practice sessions.

Needell made his first appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1981 driving a Ibec-Hesketh 308LM alongside Tony Trimmer. They failed to finish and again in 1982 this time pared with Bob Evans and Geoff Lees in an Aston Martin Nimrod NRA/C2. However the following year Needell finished 17th driving a Porsche 956. In 1985 Needell briefly led the 24 hours driving the Aston Martin EMKA C84/1 and would eventually finish 11th. His best result at Le Mans was 3rd in 1990. He then had a couple of years in the British Touring Car Championship with Nissan, before returning to sports cars in 1995, driving a Porsche at Daytona and a Jaguar XJ220 at Le Mans. He then drove the Lister Storm for 3 years, reaching 3rd overall at Daytona in 1997 before gearbox problems dropped them to 19th. In 1998 he finished 2nd in the GT1 championship and won the Silverstone Golden Jubilee Trophy race.

Since then, Needell's racing career has mainly consisted of racing tin-tops (hard-topped cars), with varying levels of success in sports cars, historic racing and touring cars. He achieved particular notoriety after an accident with Nigel Mansell at the 1993 TOCA shoot out race at Donington Park.[2]

WCoolBreeze 11-28-2010 09:41 PM

On the 1SS and 2SS, if you have the Manuel Transmission you get the LS3 at 426 HP, if you get the Automatic Transmission you get the L99 at 400 HP. In the Camaro the L99 is rated at 400 HP.

Walt B.

SilverTurtle 11-28-2010 10:28 PM

who the hell keeps giving these British motoring shows automatic transmission Camaros?!?!?!?

DGthe3 11-29-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTurtle (Post 2589521)
who the hell keeps giving these British motoring shows automatic transmission Camaros?!?!?!?

Owners most likely. I don't think the Camaro is officially for sale in Europe, so GM doesn't really have a test fleet for the Europeans.

CC Performance 11-29-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b4z (Post 2587492)
LOL. Tiff Needell is one of the great drivers.

The fact remains that the Camaro SS understeers and the '10 Chally handles like patio furniture.

As true as that might be, he didnt look like he had a whole lot of experience when he was driving those cars. Maybe he doesnt have a lot of wheel time in one of them before they shot that and racing an automatic trans might have had something to do with it but... he wasnt impressing anyone with his skills in those 2 cars. He might be Bob Bondurant, but he didnt look like it in those clips... looked like he had never driven a heavy v8 pig before.

DGthe3 11-29-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC Performance (Post 2589792)
As true as that might be, he didnt look like he had a whole lot of experience when he was driving those cars. Maybe he doesnt have a lot of wheel time in one of them before they shot that and racing an automatic trans might have had something to do with it but... he wasnt impressing anyone with his skills in those 2 cars. He might be Bob Bondurant, but he didnt look like it in those clips... looked like he had never driven a heavy v8 pig before.

The fact that it was raining may have had something to do with it too ...

Shifty 6 11-29-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewbie (Post 2589257)
From wikipedia...

Racing career

Needell first raced at a driving school at Brands Hatch in 1970. He progressed to Formula Ford, his progress assisted by the use of a Lotus 69 FF he won in an Autosport magazine competition.[1] He later sold his Lotus and used the money to buy and race an Elden Mk10. The remainder of the 1970s saw Needell as a front runner in the British Formula 3 series and then in the Aurora British Formula One championship. In 1979 he was unable to graduate to the F1 World Championship due to the lack of the correct licence, but he was back in 1980, driving two Grands Prix for Ensign, qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. However, he had an engine problem and did not finish the race. He subsequently failed to qualify for the Monaco Grand Prix.

In 1988 and 1989 he competed in the British Rallycross Grand Prix in a Metro 6R4 prepared by Will Gollop's motorsport team. He achieved a good result in 1988 finishing 4th in the B-Final in what was his first rallycross event, however, the 1989 event was cancelled due to heavy fog after the practice sessions.

Needell made his first appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1981 driving a Ibec-Hesketh 308LM alongside Tony Trimmer. They failed to finish and again in 1982 this time pared with Bob Evans and Geoff Lees in an Aston Martin Nimrod NRA/C2. However the following year Needell finished 17th driving a Porsche 956. In 1985 Needell briefly led the 24 hours driving the Aston Martin EMKA C84/1 and would eventually finish 11th. His best result at Le Mans was 3rd in 1990. He then had a couple of years in the British Touring Car Championship with Nissan, before returning to sports cars in 1995, driving a Porsche at Daytona and a Jaguar XJ220 at Le Mans. He then drove the Lister Storm for 3 years, reaching 3rd overall at Daytona in 1997 before gearbox problems dropped them to 19th. In 1998 he finished 2nd in the GT1 championship and won the Silverstone Golden Jubilee Trophy race.

Since then, Needell's racing career has mainly consisted of racing tin-tops (hard-topped cars), with varying levels of success in sports cars, historic racing and touring cars. He achieved particular notoriety after an accident with Nigel Mansell at the 1993 TOCA shoot out race at Donington Park.[2]

Yeah this guy sucks!

Talk about eating crow. Watch the Z06 video, he basically apologizes for saying all things American are rubbish.

96_2010_CAMARO 11-29-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangorover (Post 2588154)
Its the automatic and probably the cars are rated slightly different in the UK.

and it's rated 441 hp for the L99 and 462 hp for the LS3 in the Middle East

CUPRA 11-29-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORANGA2D (Post 2586993)
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Its ok the Brits will never like our cars no matter how good they get... They still have a chip on their shoulders about losing us silly colonists.

Erm [waves hand in the air], I am a Brit, living over here int he USA... and I own a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS...

Just saying!

Oh, and for the record, Tiff is a very good driver.

Vega 11-29-2010 11:02 AM

I get tired of these British car reviews of muscle cars "these HUUUUGE cars" they're really not that big, i mean yeah they're bigger than a Geo or somethin but my friend had his 72' Chevelle over the other day and honestly even that, being one of the biggest "boats" of the muscle car legacy, was still only as big as the Cobalt parked beside it, and even then was a lot more snug on the inside. Sounds like these guys have heard one too many muscle car stigmas, a muscle car will handle all day as long as you drive it right, but driving a muscle car right isnt your typical "hug the turns" driving you're used too, its all in the sliiddee haha

Vega 11-29-2010 11:10 AM

And honestly i dont care how many ass-kissers we get for this Tiff guy, if he is obviously butchering the cars' handling in the videos thats all the proof i need. Dont show me some wikipedia post or some clip of him driving the wheels off some other car cause you know what? Its totally irrelevant to this video. Honestly, if you want a review of the car go test drive one, dont let these snobs and "former professionals" tell you whats better than what because everyone has their own wants and needs and their own oppinions on what makes them happy