Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   2013 Camaro5 Fest (IV) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Camaro5 Fest IV – A long and potentially costly journey… (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312533)

VChula 08-11-2013 10:13 PM

Camaro5 Fest IV – A long and potentially costly journey…

20 Attachment(s)
(Apologies in advance for the novel that follows)

Today I got home from my trip to Camaro5 Fest IV and the visit to my dad's in Mayo, Florida.

As you can see in the pictures below, the car is again a mess – but much worse off than last year!

On the second day of my drive to the Fest, I encountered a new and unexpected Oklahoma state attraction on northbound highway 54 apparently known as the “Oklahoma Tar and Gravel Pits”.

Last year, this highway was being repaved, but sufficiently manned by traffic control groups to slowly guide northbound and southbound traffic in intervals. I encountered traffic stops 4 times last year.

This year, I only encountered 1 traffic delay – about 3 miles up the road from where the traffic control group should have been. I hit tar and gravel going about 70mph (posted speed limit) and showered a Inferno Orange Corvette right behind me.

My car suffered severe tar and gravel damage to the lower body paint, under body, suspension and wheels. The rocks hit so hard that they even went through the clear protective covers at the leading edge of rear quarter and rocker panel areas and on the front lower portion of the rocker panels.

There was so much tar built up on the tires that it was literally throwing the rocks ahead of me only to again hit my car on the front bumper, hood and roof. There was no one in front of me during the 3 mile gravel shower, nor was there even a shoulder to pull over on.

About 50 miles further up the road in Kansas, I finally was able to find a spray car wash to see if I could remove the stuck rocks in my brakes, which were squealing quite loudly.

When I got out of my car, I could not even see the inner surfaces of my wheels as they were totally covered with gravel, glued on with tar!

Also discovered was that I lost a lot of paint on the lower portions of my car. Because I was going to enter the car show, I touched up every paint chip I had on the car before I set forth on the trip. Well, no amount of touch-up paint can fix this damage.

I then used the power sprayer to dislodge what gravel and tar clumps I could from the car - with minimal success. I then decided to continue on my journey – spitting gravel off of the car and back onto my paint for at least the next 100 miles. I also still had a rock stuck in the rear brakes and was still squealing for about 200 more miles until it eventually fell out or disintegrated. I now have a nice groove on the left rear rotor, and most likely a nice rut in the inner surface of that rotor.

About 50 miles later, I hit torrential thunder storms in throughout Kansas and Missouri, which were frightening to drive in but did get rid of a lot of the gravel that was stuck to the inside of my wheels.

On the 3rd day (Tuesday), I arrived at the host hotel in Indianapolis. I then received a text messages from Hank (hrpiii) asking if I would join him and his wife for dinner, which I gladly accepted. Thanks Hank and Missy (sp?)!!! (I owe both you dinner at the next Fest in Texas).

On Wednesday, I filed a claim with my insurance company. They told me that they will cover the damages but it will be classified as collision damage, not comprehensive. I strongly disagreed with this decision. I was also told not to touch the car as they would send out an appraiser to estimate the damages. I was not even allowed to wipe the car down. So, I was watching the early arrivals point at my car with disgust from the window of my hotel room.

On Thursday, I decided to go ahead and wipe down my car anyway. About mid-way through, my insurance adjuster called to get more details about my situation. The first thing I said was why on earth the damages were going to be applied to my collision deductible and not to comprehensive? The adjuster actually overheard the discussion I had the day before and assured me that I will be covered through comprehensive. I then told her that I drove 2100 miles to participate in a car show and felt it was unfair for me to not be able to at least wipe the car down. She agreed to let me wipe the car down but not to remove the tar as it needed to be visible to the appraiser. I had already made an appointment to have the detail guy at the hotel remove the tar, but found that the tar was also in areas that the detailer could not get to without taking the car apart. So, I cancelled the detail appointment.

The insurance adjuster said that they would look at my car after I return home.

As usual, the fest was great!! (even though I couldn't participate in the car show).

Even with the damage sustained to my car, the drive was still worth it.
To me, it was about the journey and meeting the great people that attended. This was my second time driving across the country (same exact trip as last year).

Seeing Becky & Maureen from Rodgers Chevrolet, Al Oppenheiser and Scott Settlemire again was well worth the trip. To the others I forgot to mention; sorry, I have forgotten more names than the ones I remembered. (If I met you at the fest, please reply to this post so I can get your names & Camaro5 id's)

It was also nice to see Guillermo (Tribone) and to meet the other moderators and at least half of the Camaro Disciples.

Last, but not least, it was nice to chat with Randy (PQ) and Bonnie again, and to meet and chat with Robert Taylor. In short, I feel as though I met new friends!

Many thanks to the Moderators, the GM Group and to the sponsors for putting this event together!!

After the fest, I then went down to visit my dad.

Last year I was immediately welcomed to Florida by his dog Sam, who within minutes lifted his leg and anointed my passenger side fog light – but not this year!

While at my dad’s, we visited St. Augustine for a day, and then just mostly hung out at the house.

Five days later, I began my trip home.

The Camaro carnage continued on the first day out with a rock hit (repairable) on the front windshield in Louisiana, and a road gator (truck tire tread) hit on the front bumper in Texas. The distance driven on the first day totaled 1100.8 miles!! (from Mayo, Florida to Junction, Texas in under 17 hours)

Total miles driven: 5295.1

Total hours spent driving: 72 hours, 17 minutes.

For the entire trip, I averaged 25.18 mpg. The highest being a fill-up between Albuquerque NM and Liberal KS, where I obtained 28.01 mpg (calculated)!

The first 3 pictures are of the car when I returned home to Santee, CA.

The remaining pictures are of the damages incurred during the trip. By the way, even though the car is dirty, the white spots you see in the pictures are where paint no longer exists on the car.

I'll continue to maintain and update this thread until all the damage is repaired.

RubyCamaro 08-11-2013 10:34 PM

I sure hope this gets taken care of to your satisfaction. I could tell how upset you were and I would have felt the same. Actually I doubt seriously I would have been as calm as you were. Definately keep us posted.

VChula 08-11-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 6887469)
I sure hope this gets taken care of to your satisfaction. I could tell how upset you were and I would have felt the same. Actually I doubt seriously I would have been as calm as you were. Definately keep us posted.

Yes, I was upset at first, but mostly with my insurance company.
It is my hope that the car will look like new when this is over.

It was nice chatting with you at the Fest!

Blk-Ice 08-11-2013 10:52 PM

This cant be charged to the area that was doing the road work?!

bluetooth-ss 08-12-2013 04:29 AM

That's insane.They will get it fixed up and looking good again.

ssmike 08-12-2013 08:02 AM

I really hope you get compensated well and get everything back to normal soon! I felt bad watching you cleaning your Camaro every time I walked out into the parking lot! What a sucky way to spend Camaro Fest time! Maybe next year will be the charm for you, Texas isn't quite as far and hopefully you'll be able to avoid the construction mayhem on the roads! Good luck!

joes407 08-12-2013 08:12 AM

in florida we have so much construction they repair road damaged windshields free through your insurance company. also I had a friend who damaged some suspension in a construction zone and the county was made to pay for repair

arod55 08-12-2013 08:40 AM

Vance sorry to hear about your misfortune it will all work out in time. Will see you at the San Diego Camaro car show in Sept., by the way I took my garage queen out of the garage yesterday and did the Borrego Springs run with 33 Camaros. A lot of fun.:headbang:

mp51998 08-12-2013 08:51 AM

That makes me sick to look at. I'm glad you made it thru the rest of your trip safely. I too felt bad watching you try to clean your car. I know I wouldn't have been as calm about this. I would think that DOT in Oklahoma would be the responsible party. Had part now is proving in. Keep us updated. It was really nice to see you again. Hope you make it to Texas next year.

woodside783 08-12-2013 09:27 AM

They will fix or deal with us all

toesuf94 08-12-2013 10:27 AM

That just makes me sick. I spoke with you at the fest and you were telling me about it...glad it was dark when you told me 'cause I would have been sick seeing it. I do hope they get it fixed for you to your satisfaction.

VChula 08-12-2013 06:29 PM

The front windshield was repaired this afternoon.

My insurance adjuster is now flip-flopping as to whether it will be a collision or comprehensive claim.

Oh, and after closer inspection, there are even more rock hits/scratches on the front bumper, hood, roof, side mirrors, trunk, upper front and rear fenders and upper side of the doors.

I will contact the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to get an actual location of where the repaving crew was on July 29.

VChula 08-14-2013 02:13 PM

Got the preliminary damage appraisal this morning.

The car will need to be completely repainted.

Estimated damage figure comes to $3888.91.

This figure does yet not cover the removal of the tar debris from the wheels, suspension and under-body.

The deductible applied will be for "no fault" collision, so my rates should not go up when I renew the policy.

BAD DAB 08-18-2013 08:21 PM

Hope everything works out for you and they can fix you up just like new.

RubyCamaro 08-18-2013 09:23 PM

Let us hear back from you as things progress. Hope it is good as new really soon.

cadyshac 08-19-2013 04:31 PM

Good luck man, it sounds like a nightmare. I think I saw your car at the fest, I remember all the tar and rocks in the wheels.

strych9 08-19-2013 04:44 PM

Man, that's just awful. I hate seeing this stuff happen to people. Based on the composure you've displayed here, you're a bigger man than I. LOL.

TAG UR IT 08-19-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VChula (Post 6890444)
The front windshield was repaired this afternoon.

My insurance adjuster is now flip-flopping as to whether it will be a collision or comprehensive claim.

Oh, and after closer inspection, there are even more rock hits/scratches on the front bumper, hood, roof, side mirrors, trunk, upper front and rear fenders and upper side of the doors.

I will contact the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to get an actual location of where the repaving crew was on July 29.

Good grief, man...

I read everything and was like, "could it really be that bad?" Then I looked down at the pix. HOLY CRAP that's horrible...

I wouldn't ever want to have to try to clean all of that.

Yeah...comprehensive coverage would be the only way to go. I can't believe they left the roads like that... I feel they should be responsible for those damages. NOT YOU nor your insurance.

VChula 08-20-2013 09:17 PM

Well, I got some good news today from my insurance carrier.

They sent me their "incident investigation" letter and made a final determination that the damage caused to my car was "100%" not my fault.

Also, it was finally determined that the damage is indeed a "Comprehensive Loss" (they earlier determined that it would be a collision loss).

Because my deductible is relatively low, they will not attempt to recover damages from the State of Oklahoma.

So, I will only pay $300.00 for a complete paint job, polished wheel refurbishing and tar removal from the undercarriage.

Supercharged SS 08-20-2013 09:24 PM

You got off easy. I blew up my engine on the very first pass on Friday morning. :frown:

Tysen 08-20-2013 10:03 PM

Glad it worked out for you. A construction barrel blew in front of my car on the way to Indy this year, cracked my front bumper and almost pulled the front GFX off, so I know how you're feeling.

RubyCamaro 08-20-2013 10:45 PM

Glad it worked out. Hope the repairs & clean up are done to your satisfaction. Pics when it's done & let us know how it came out.

VChula 08-21-2013 01:34 AM

I hope to get "in progress" pictures after I take the car in to the paint shop, which won't happen until at least mid-September.

The paint shop still has to look over the estimate from the insurance adjuster. I hope to hear from them later this week.

bluetooth-ss 08-21-2013 04:16 AM

Good to hear you're being taken care of.

hrpiii 08-21-2013 08:04 AM

This is great news! I am so glad the car will be repaired. It was so great to see you again and give you a proper welcome to Indy after that grueling trip. We will met again in Texas, this time, I bet your car is spotless and ready for the show. :thumb::thumbup:

Keep us posted. I have never ever seen a car with that much tar damage in my life, and hope I never do again. The Camaro took a pounding, yet still got you to your destination(s) and back home. Car is built like a tank!

Thrillz 08-28-2013 03:05 AM

That's insane. I would have not had any fun at the fest if my car had looked like that. Your a real trooper man. Best of luck getting that repaired.

myold88 08-28-2013 06:11 AM

Glad your getting this covered as a comp claim, not collision. The fact that
your company even debated this is amazing imo. Good luck with the repairs.

sycraft 08-28-2013 06:32 AM

http://cryodetail.tunersmall.com/

VChula 08-28-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycraft (Post 6954643)

Thanks for the link.

Looks interesting, but my insurance company probably won't ship my car from California to Florida for an under-body cleaning.

I'll be looking to see if there are any shops in the San Diego area that clean vehicles in this manner.

SSE 4 2SS 08-29-2013 12:25 AM

Vance,

The pleasure of meeting you was mine....

I know you were upset at first, but Im glad to see the situation didn't get the best of you, (great Character attribute) and that you enjoyed the Fest...

I didn't have my car there but still had a blast... Yes, the cars are the focal point, but they are a starting point for the people, the friends we have never seen other than a picture on the forum's, or the replys to posts...

The fest lets us put a name to a face, and finally get to see people and interact with them without the limitations of a few electrons...

Again, the pleasure was mine and I look forward to seeing you in Texas..

Take Care Brother...

Robert

Sleez 10-23-2013 12:54 PM

any update?

VChula 10-23-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleez (Post 7118913)
any update?

I'm too busy at work and haven't had a chance to get it over to the shop.

Hopefully I can get to the shop within the next 2 weeks.

VChula 11-01-2013 11:57 AM

Dropped the car off at the paint shop today.

VChula 11-09-2013 07:53 PM

16 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the "tarnage" on the chassis....

mp51998 11-10-2013 12:44 AM

That is absolutley crazy. I dont know how you stayed so composed at the Fest. Definately the state should have covered the repair of that. I would have been livid. Kudos to you. I'm glad you're getting it fixed. I look forward to seeing you in Texas.

stlrammer 11-10-2013 12:59 AM

OMG. I'm just reading this post for the first time. Hope repairs work out.

VChula 11-10-2013 10:14 AM

I am quite surprised that I haven't experienced wheel vibration on the highway due to the tar buildup.

Two "tar removal" detailers looked at the damage this week and have decided to "no bid" the project.

Yesterday, I met with another detailer and he seems willing to tackle the damage.
He says that it will take 2 days at a minimum to remove the tar.
The front and rear suspension may have to be disassembled...

45TH RS 11-27-2013 06:40 PM

Hey VChula ... just read your thread, sad to see this for sure! How did the underbody cleanup turn out?

VChula 11-27-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45TH RS (Post 7220819)
Hey VChula ... just read your thread, sad to see this for sure! How did the underbody cleanup turn out?

To date, it still hasn't been resolved...

45TH RS 11-28-2013 10:46 AM

Best of luck to you, hang in there !