Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Question for ALL SuperChargers & Turbo owners, shop's etc. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88556)

LS376 06-09-2010 03:05 PM

Question for ALL SuperChargers & Turbo owners, shop's etc.

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion that owns or owned a Supercharger or Turbo, which one is considered to be less maintenance? :bangdesk:
Thank you all for the input ahead of time.

Camaro_Custom_Painted 06-09-2010 06:01 PM

All I know is that the EForce I installed requires an oil change at 100,000 miles and nothing more.

speedster 06-09-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS376 (Post 1964604)
I wanted to ask everyone's opinion that owns or owned a Supercharger or Turbo, which one is considered to be less maintenance? :bangdesk:
Thank you all for the input ahead of time.

They can both last a very long time. Both are OEM on many, many vehicles with great longevity records.

The shorter life comes in to play when the usage is modified. i.e. When you run them at higher boost for more HP, run them lean, run too low an octane fuel or you race a lot, etc.

With proper care and attention either will last. :)

east TX Muscle cars 06-09-2010 06:50 PM

well the Magnacharger really needs nothing just bolt it on and go. and we run TONS of these and have never had to send one in, now other type of FI well thats another story

JANNETTYRACING 06-09-2010 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=LS376;1964604] I wanted to ask everyone's opinion that owns or owned a Supercharger or Turbo, which one is considered to be less maintenance? :bangdesk:[/QUOTE

Most of Todays Superchargers Are OEM quality and will last as long as the car it is installed on.

The only maintenance necessary is Oil and Belts, Just like an engine.

The vortech that shares the engine oil requires the least amount of maintenance Just do your normal Oil changes and your supercharger is service regularly.

Ted.

Cole@Fastlane 06-10-2010 09:55 AM

As far as maintenance a turbo requires the least amount.There are no belts to change.There are no belt tensioners to wear out and they use the engine oil so all you have to do is change the engine oil regularly like normal and that is it.

Z_Rocks 06-10-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole@Fastlane (Post 1967783)
As far as maintenance a turbo requires the least amount.There are no belts to change.There are no belt tensioners to wear out and they use the engine oil so all you have to do is change the engine oil regularly like normal and that is it.

As a Turbo car owner, I agree with Cole 100%. If you don't beat the crap out of your turbos all day, and you change the oil pretty regularly (3K), it will last for several years. I know people who are running their turbo car for 10 years, without a single maintenance to the turbo setup.

BozFour 06-10-2010 11:18 AM

I have a buddy with an 04 single turbo cobra he has been daily driving it forever.

axis 06-10-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks (Post 1967905)
As a Turbo car owner, I agree with Cole 100%. If you don't beat the crap out of your turbos all day, and you change the oil pretty regularly (3K), it will last for several years. I know people who are running their turbo car for 10 years, without a single maintenance to the turbo setup.

This is the important part, but this goes for any form of FI. The more, and harder, you beat on your car, the quicker it's going to wear out.