Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New 2012 Camaro Transformers Special Edition Announced (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155150)

The Viz 06-27-2011 08:05 AM

New 2012 Camaro Transformers Special Edition Announced

2 Attachment(s)
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...7_transformers

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=56197

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=56198

Attachment 257719

Attachment 257720

■Two previous Transformers films helped make Camaro America’s best-selling sports car for 2010 and 2011
■2012 Transformers Special Edition Camaro Coupe allows fans around the world to get behind the wheel of Bumblebee

DETROIT – The Chevrolet Camaro returns as the Autobot “Bumblebee” in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which opens exclusively in 3D Tuesday and worldwide Wednesday. To celebrate, Chevrolet will offer a 2012 Transformers Special Edition Camaro Coupe to Bumblebee fans in the United States, Canada, China, Japan, Europe, South America, and the Middle East.

“The Transformers franchise has helped introduce Camaro – and Chevrolet – to a whole new generation of fans,” said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “Its role in the films helped make the Camaro the best-selling sports car in America, and one of the best-known cars of any kind around the world.”

The fifth-generation Camaro previously played Bumblebee in the 2007 film Transformers and in the 2009 film Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. The films generated $1.5 billion in global box-office sales, and helped reintroduce the Camaro to consumers after a seven-year hiatus from dealerships.

In 2009, the Camaro was the most-searched-for car on the web, according to Yahoo!Autos, even though the first models didn’t arrive at dealers until late that year. In 2010, the Camaro assumed leadership of the U.S. sports car market from the Ford Mustang for the first time in 24 years. This year, the Camaro continues to lead the segment, fueled by the introduction of the Camaro Convertible. Chevrolet has sold 40,275 Camaros this year, compared to the Mustang sales of 30,206.

That momentum is expected to accelerate early next year with the introduction of the 550-hp (405 kW) 2012 Camaro ZL1, as well as limited-edition models such as the Transformers Special Edition.

The 2012 Transformers Special Edition will be offered as a $3,000 package on 2LT and 2SS Camaro Coupes with Rally Yellow paint. In addition to the content offered in the popular RS appearance package, the Transformers edition will feature black rally stripes that stretch over the hood, roof, decklid and unique high-wing rear spoiler; 20-inch, black-painted wheels wrapped in high-performance summer tires; and Autobot Shield logos on the center caps and front quarter panels.

Inside, the Transformers Camaro has a black leather interior accented with yellow stitching on the instrument panel, center console, armrests and seats. Autobot Shield logos are embroidered on the front headrests, as well as the center console lid.

Two dealer-installed options are also available: exclusive, 21-inch, black-painted wheels and a black ground-effects package.

Customers may begin ordering the 2012 Transformers Special Edition Camaro in July, with vehicles arriving at dealers in the U.S. and Canada in September.

Nvincent4708 06-27-2011 08:06 AM

i like it

SlingShot 06-27-2011 08:09 AM

Cool !!! Wish they would offer the color also ...

SilverTurtle 06-27-2011 08:10 AM

yeah, I am still curious how much adding Sunrise Gold to the car would add to window sticker

sasquash1984 06-27-2011 08:10 AM

I like the hood, my question is the paint gonna match the movie other than that really close to looking like a movie prop

RocketCutlass 06-27-2011 08:12 AM

Well that looks quite a bit better than just a few autobot emblems being slapped on. No offense to the older transformers models, but this one just looks like they actually put some effort into it.

The Viz 06-27-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasquash1984 (Post 3390706)
I like the hood, my question is the paint gonna match the movie other than that really close to looking like a movie prop

still no color change. Rally yellow is it.

toesuf94 06-27-2011 08:31 AM

I was bummed that the color is Rally Yellow again...but I love the package. Now if it came with a Meagan Fox Trunk Monkey...yeah...

B1G-AL 06-27-2011 08:32 AM

I love the yellow stitching in the interior! Also neat that the package can be ordered for a 2LT too

el ess A 06-27-2011 08:35 AM

More decals and parts out of the parts bin, no huge difference there. There wasn't a ton of folks dishing out the extra $995 MSRP for the first version. That could be because the first version almost didn't happen and was actually late in getting out there. I guess they wanted to see if GM could survive.

I'm having trouble seeing someone dropping and extra $3K on THIS version, especially when the ZL1 is coming around the corner. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess hardcore Transfomer fans would do so. I envision less than 1000 units sold. Just my predicition. Maybe part of the cost is that you're getting the RS package included, although the HIDs is the only thing that seems would make much difference otherwise.

If they just didn't muck it up with that shopping cart spoiler (closest to the movie, true, but it still sucks IMO), I think it would work. ACS has the new hood vent cutouts and the T3 ports for those that want the upgrade there. I think that would really finish the look out, save for the grill. Not thrilled about the yellow stitching, but they don't always have to put stuff on I like anyway.

Notice, too, it's only on the coupe. Too bad they didn't have a drop top version.

Interestingly the concept picture isn't in RY. I'll bet more people will whine about it when they actually see it.

A couple of notes...it's not coming standard as you see it in the pics according to the writeup. The black in the grille area isn't mentioned in the grille area at all, and the ground FX and 21" wheels are options. I'm sure SOMEONE will start working on the grille, though.

Regardless, I hope they sell a million of them.

chevyk1 06-27-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 3390701)
Cool !!! Wish they would offer the color also ...

+1

bossbunny 06-27-2011 09:11 AM

I like it!!

justmeron 06-27-2011 09:13 AM

Sweet!!

Johnnyma45 06-27-2011 09:13 AM

At first I thought the 21in wheels and ground fx came with the package, which would make it a screaming deal just as far as what you get. But it looks decent. Wish they would one-off the actual Bumblebee front fascia.