Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trimming the fat... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43014)

jayson71 09-17-2009 10:17 PM

For milk. The following links get you about 40 pounds plus your wallet will weigh less.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...on+fiber+trunk
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=carbon+fiber

Don't forget each muffler weighs in at like 30lbs or something stupid.

Milk 1027 09-17-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayson71 (Post 938714)
For milk. The following links get you about 40 pounds plus your wallet will weigh less.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...on+fiber+trunk
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=carbon+fiber

Don't forget each muffler weighs in at like 30lbs or something stupid.

not for me.

I hate when someone asks a question and people jump on top of them. I'd like people on this forum to stop being so agressive towards each other, there's no reason for it and we all get nowhere fast.

Bentley78 09-17-2009 10:25 PM

I don't get why import ricer guys talk bad about 3900lbs, are they not aware the Nissan GT-R is 3900lbs?? It's all about design of the car, weight placement and engine displacement. The Camaro is nearly an engineering masterpiece.

deletedd 09-17-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 937175)
Get rid of the independent suspension.
Get rid of the Air Bags.
Get rid of the passenger and back seats.
Get Fiberglass hood and trunk.
Replace the windows with Lexan.
Only run ¼ tank of gas.
Make sure to work out so you can trim off any excess body weight.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I mean really….are you that worried about 500lbs? :facepalm:

These cars are turning great numbers on the track with that weight. If you want a race car they sell the Gen 5 body and you can build what you want.

If that doesn't work for you then I would recommend you go buy a mustang or stick with your ricer.

BTW: I personally take offense by you calling a car that we all cherish here "A PIG". I know they're heavy but you could use a better choice of words here. Just my opinion.

Well, sorry to hear you're offended (well, not really...) that I called the car a "pig," but it's not like I'm talking about your girlfriend. Really. Maybe I should take offense to you calling my STi a "ricer," no? :iono:

So, another member said, "Well, what's the goal?" You see, that's simple. The difficult part would be shedding all of this ridiculous weight and keeping a vehicle that not only still looks good, but is functional. Who cares about 400-500 lbs? Most anybody that wants a car that does more than travel in a straight line, that's who. Power/weight ratio is important to me, and my goal is to have a stylish vehicle with a decent power/weight ratio.

And then I get the, "So go buy a Mustang" comments. :rolleyes: Typical. :thumbdown: But, then again, I could do that, and I wouldn't hate myself for it, either. Unlike some of you, I'm not brand-loyal. I could just as easily buy a Mustang as a Camaro. While I'd prefer a Camaro, I have no qualms about parking a Mustang next to my 1994 B4C.

...And who's to say I haven't been cross-shopping a 2010 Mustang GT? It's quite simple, really. I could go get a Mustang GT Deluxe for $26,000, then slap a $5000 Roushcharger on it, and still get a 3yr/36k warranty, along with 435 hp. Figure the install cost of the supercharger, the supercharger, and the price of the car, and I'd probably be at around $33,000; the same as a nicely equipped SS. See, maybe I have been doing my homework?

Anyhoo, thanks to those that offered good, useable information, and no thanks to those who didn't.

Revo1 09-17-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatedZ (Post 937034)
Guys, I really want to like the new Camaro. For real, I do. But, I just can't get enthusiastic about a 3900 lb pig of a car. The power's right, the looks are right, everything is right...except for the weight.

So, this is where I ask, "Where are the 400-500 lbs I DON'T need?" If I'm going to buy one of these pigs, and I'd like to, I wanna know what I can remove without sacrificing my safety and the overall good looks of my vehicle. I can live without a back seat or a spare tire, but I'd like to keep the door-panels intact.

So, what can go? And BTW, I'm talking about an SS. I won't mess with a V6.

SS doesn't come with a spare tire, so that's out...

Revo1 09-17-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayson71 (Post 938657)
Try this, I know it is a V6 but it can work on the SS as well.

:yikes:

fbodfather 09-17-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatedZ (Post 938760)
Well, sorry to hear you're offended (well, not really...) that I called the car a "pig," but it's not like I'm talking about your girlfriend. Really. Maybe I should take offense to you calling my STi a "ricer," no? :iono:

So, another member said, "Well, what's the goal?" You see, that's simple. The difficult part would be shedding all of this ridiculous weight and keeping a vehicle that not only still looks good, but is functional. Who cares about 400-500 lbs? Most anybody that wants a car that does more than travel in a straight line, that's who. Power/weight ratio is important to me, and my goal is to have a stylish vehicle with a decent power/weight ratio.

And then I get the, "So go buy a Mustang" comments. :rolleyes: Typical. :thumbdown: But, then again, I could do that, and I wouldn't hate myself for it, either. Unlike some of you, I'm not brand-loyal. I could just as easily buy a Mustang as a Camaro. While I'd prefer a Camaro, I have no qualms about parking a Mustang next to my 1994 B4C.

...And who's to say I haven't been cross-shopping a 2010 Mustang GT? It's quite simple, really. I could go get a Mustang GT Deluxe for $26,000, then slap a $5000 Roushcharger on it, and still get a 3yr/36k warranty, along with 435 hp. Figure the install cost of the supercharger, the supercharger, and the price of the car, and I'd probably be at around $33,000; the same as a nicely equipped SS. See, maybe I have been doing my homework?

Anyhoo, thanks to those that offered good, useable information, and no thanks to those who didn't.

If I may ask: Have you driven one? I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. We did develop it at the 'Ring.......and on several continents.......taking into consideration all driving conditions and road types......you may be very pleasantly surprised!

And while the Camaro isn't my girlfriend -- I do take exception to your calling it a Pig.

Revo1 09-17-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talwell (Post 937231)
The Mustang might be lighter - but I will push a Camaro before I drive a Mustang.

:word:x1000

ShnOmac 09-17-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

So, another member said, "Well, what's the goal?" You see, that's simple. The difficult part would be shedding all of this ridiculous weight and keeping a vehicle that not only still looks good, but is functional.

I am the guy that asked you what was the purpose and why did you want to drop weight.... I wasnt being a smat a$$ I was curious. I understand how it may have seemed that way with the tone of alot of the other posts.... I take it you are looking to make your Camaro into more of a roadtrack car? JMHO but before you do anything with weight you may want to try and set up the suspension first. Body roll and nose dive can be whats making it seem heavier than what it is.... There are quite a few companys who have done lots of work with the suspension already and they have all said that this car responds very well to different suspension set ups. Plus changing out your stock suspension will save you a few pounds. One other area you may want to consider are lighter wheels.... unsprung weight is a biggie with those huge, heavy wheels. The company's that have done suspension work and gone with lighter wheels all say that the Camaro feels much lighter on its feet afterwards. I still wouldnt say its a pig.....lol

gtwss 09-17-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 938807)
If I may ask: Have you driven one? I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. We did develop it at the 'Ring.......and on several continents.......taking into consideration all driving conditions and road types......you may be very pleasantly surprised!

And while the Camaro isn't my girlfriend -- I do take exception to your calling it a Pig.

:clap: I agree, the other thing here is that no one has really looked at his sig :iono: This is my 4th Camaro and none have been a pig :thumbsup: This one feels better overall than my 01 SS This guy needs to drive one before calling it anything but, AWESOME :cool:

Mr. Wyndham 09-17-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Disclaimer is this:

I do not intend to offend or harrang you in any way.

Now, though...I would like you to answer a few questions for me.

#1. Have you driven the car, yet?
#2. What do you mean by functional?
and #3....is not a question;

I challenge you to find a new sports car on the PLANET...that has the following:

IRS
400+hp
4 seats
and DOESN'T weigh somewhere between 3700-4200lbs.

I think you'll find that you cannot. For the price range? The Camaro actually comes out on the lighter-side of the spectrum. If you can beat that challenge, then you can call it a pig and fat all you like, otherwise, it is an inaccurate statement to make.

djsnoflake 09-17-2009 11:30 PM

Buy a body in white
Add powertrain and some light small wheels
Add 1 drivers seat

Other than that, stripping a stock car is pointless

ShnOmac 09-17-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTM (Post 938645)
BS, I feel it every time I step on the gas, even though it is fast

But your coming from a couple of Zo6's..... It's going to feel heavier!

shockandawe 09-17-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatedZ (Post 937034)
Guys, I really want to like the new Camaro. For real, I do. But, I just can't get enthusiastic about a 3900 lb pig of a car. The power's right, the looks are right, everything is right...except for the weight.

So, this is where I ask, "Where are the 400-500 lbs I DON'T need?" If I'm going to buy one of these pigs, and I'd like to, I wanna know what I can remove without sacrificing my safety and the overall good looks of my vehicle. I can live without a back seat or a spare tire, but I'd like to keep the door-panels intact.

So, what can go? And BTW, I'm talking about an SS. I won't mess with a V6.

Driver?