Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trimming the fat... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43014)

deletedd 09-17-2009 04:15 PM

Trimming the fat...

Guys, I really want to like the new Camaro. For real, I do. But, I just can't get enthusiastic about a 3900 lb pig of a car. The power's right, the looks are right, everything is right...except for the weight.

So, this is where I ask, "Where are the 400-500 lbs I DON'T need?" If I'm going to buy one of these pigs, and I'd like to, I wanna know what I can remove without sacrificing my safety and the overall good looks of my vehicle. I can live without a back seat or a spare tire, but I'd like to keep the door-panels intact.

So, what can go? And BTW, I'm talking about an SS. I won't mess with a V6.

Lucky SOB 09-17-2009 04:16 PM

Stereo system? wheels?

onechuck 09-17-2009 04:21 PM

You never would know it was this big if you weren't told. You can't feel it any way.

ffrcobra_65 09-17-2009 04:25 PM

Start with 1SS
Remove the rear seats
Replace front seats with aftermarket lightweight seats
Replace the stock intake and exhaust systems
Switch to lighter wheels
Switch to carbon fiber hood

could go on but above should net a couple of so hundred pounds

Rockytophummer 09-17-2009 04:25 PM

Well they beat you to it. Guess you could leave the air compressor out but they left the spare tire out already. You really that upset over 500lbs.? Are you planning on strictly racing this car or something? Good thing you don't want the Challenger! If Camaro is a pig then you must think the Challenger is a cow or a whale!

jtzako 09-17-2009 04:27 PM

Assuming the wheels are typical OEM wheel's they are quite heavy. You could get much lighter ones. Rolling weight seems to be more of a problem than the rest so thats a good start.

nova 09-17-2009 04:34 PM

First start with the car.

Then strip out all the interior including all seats.
Add light weight racing seat for driver.
remove the radio.
take the doors off
remove all the body panels
take the trunk lid off.
dashboard needs to come out too

frame + engine + steering wheel + 4 wheels should be pretty close to what you're looking for weightwise...

and yes I'm joking...

mfr1950 09-17-2009 04:36 PM

Buy a Mustang if you think the Camaro is a pig,its 400,500 lbs lighter....

talwell 09-17-2009 04:42 PM

The Camaro is a package - it was designed, engineered and built exactly as it should be. It was not designed to be 500lbs lighter - and there are many reasons for that. I cannot understand why curb weight would matter to most anyone - unless you plan to race it and in that case just buy a body in white and built it any way that you desire.

caverman 09-17-2009 04:45 PM

Get rid of the independent suspension.
Get rid of the Air Bags.
Get rid of the passenger and back seats.
Get Fiberglass hood and trunk.
Replace the windows with Lexan.
Only run ¼ tank of gas.
Make sure to work out so you can trim off any excess body weight.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I mean really….are you that worried about 500lbs? :facepalm:

These cars are turning great numbers on the track with that weight. If you want a race car they sell the Gen 5 body and you can build what you want.

If that doesn't work for you then I would recommend you go buy a mustang or stick with your ricer.

BTW: I personally take offense by you calling a car that we all cherish here "A PIG". I know they're heavy but you could use a better choice of words here. Just my opinion.

ShnOmac 09-17-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatedZ (Post 937034)
Guys, I really want to like the new Camaro. For real, I do. But, I just can't get enthusiastic about a 3900 lb pig of a car. The power's right, the looks are right, everything is right...except for the weight.

So, this is where I ask, "Where are the 400-500 lbs I DON'T need?" If I'm going to buy one of these pigs, and I'd like to, I wanna know what I can remove without sacrificing my safety and the overall good looks of my vehicle. I can live without a back seat or a spare tire, but I'd like to keep the door-panels intact.

Why are you trying to reduce the weight? Whats the goal?

rayhawk 09-17-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfr1950 (Post 937139)
Buy a Mustang if you think the Camaro is a pig,its 400,500 lbs lighter....

The Mustang is 280 lbs lighter than the Camaro.

3860-3580= 280

talwell 09-17-2009 04:49 PM

If you want a lightweight - buy a Miata and throw an LS3 in it. We have a BMW Z3 with a blown 383 in my neighborhood. Blower is so high I dont think they can even see where they are going.

wullger 09-17-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onechuck (Post 937064)
You never would know it was this big if you weren't told. You can't feel it any way.

Exactly. Don't knock it till you've driven one.

CloudXTC 09-17-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova (Post 937132)
First start with the car.

Then strip out all the interior including all seats.
Add light weight racing seat for driver.
remove the radio.
take the doors off
remove all the body panels
take the trunk lid off.
dashboard needs to come out too

frame + engine + steering wheel + 4 wheels should be pretty close to what you're looking for weightwise...

and yes I'm joking...

nooo ur not!

talwell 09-17-2009 04:58 PM

The Mustang might be lighter - but I will push a Camaro before I drive a Mustang.

qbert48 09-17-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wullger (Post 937220)
Exactly. Don't knock it till you've driven one.

:word:

jpsuperman81 09-17-2009 05:07 PM

I am by no means a professional driver I simply have 12 years experience(I am 28) of regular everyday driving and none of it in this type of car. With that said I took my SS to the tail of the dragon this last weekend and it handled great and didn't feel like 3800 pounds of car. I have sway bars I want to get installed and try again but totally stock it surprised me with it's weight/handling. If your not familiar with tail of the dragon it's 318 curves in 11 miles just search it.

Number 3 09-17-2009 05:12 PM

This has been covered soooooo many times. I hope you've used the search feature.

You haven't really stated anything you want except to drop 500 pounds. If you want to do many of the things mentioned above to save weight......and none add up to 500 pounds by the way.........you will give up the comfortable, quiet and safe Camaro we all love.

As mentioned by one of the earlier posts, the car is a system intended to do many things. If you want to give most of those up then just start pulling parts off of the car until it won't run and stop.

Yes, you can buy a Carbon hood for maybe $1,500 bucks (at least that's what a Vette aftermarket hood cost last I checked) and a boat load of other light weght parts by simply writing a check. But I would suggest you will spend about 10 to 20 per pound saved by the time you are done there. So for the price of your Camaro and another 5 to 10,000 you could get there. And that's a low side investment by the way.

But if you want to void your warranty, give up emissions, and the ability to listen to music and ride with passengers, you can get 500 pounds out. It just wouldn't be a very cool looking car or much fun to ride in, IMO.

Good luck. I think you should put a thread in the project file and keep us up to date on what you are able to achieve.

IROCanSS 09-17-2009 06:15 PM

Doesn't he know fat bottom girls make the rockin world go 'round? :iono:

rodimus prime 09-17-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talwell (Post 937162)
The Camaro is a package - it was designed, engineered and built exactly as it should be. It was not designed to be 500lbs lighter - and there are many reasons for that. I cannot understand why curb weight would matter to most anyone - unless you plan to race it and in that case just buy a body in white and built it any way that you desire.

Well to be fair all they did was take the g8 platform and hacked it up to fit the Camaro. The only thing original on the car is interior and the l99.

Xmicro_SS 09-17-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 937175)
Get rid of the independent suspension.
Get rid of the Air Bags.
Get rid of the passenger and back seats.
Get Fiberglass hood and trunk.
Replace the windows with Lexan.
Only run ¼ tank of gas.
Make sure to work out so you can trim off any excess body weight.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I mean really….are you that worried about 500lbs? :facepalm:

These cars are turning great numbers on the track with that weight. If you want a race car they sell the Gen 5 body and you can build what you want.

If that doesn't work for you then I would recommend you go buy a mustang or stick with your ricer.

BTW: I personally take offense by you calling a car that we all cherish here "A PIG". I know they're heavy but you could use a better choice of words here. Just my opinion.

:word::word:

I am so tired about comparing stats...........give it a rest people, your not racing it on a track for money. And as caverman said, these cars are solid as a Muscle car should be..........damn communist thinking! :facepalm:

jnewberr2ssrs 09-17-2009 06:32 PM

i had the same concern before it came in and thought it was going to feel heavy but it honestly doesn't...you have to remember you have 426 horsepower and 420 lb/ft of torque to blast it around...

it doesn't feel heavy to me at all..it feels exactly like what it is...a beast!!

2SSRS@Gen5diy 09-17-2009 06:34 PM

Hay this winter i will add 70 lb to the car.

TJ91 09-17-2009 06:36 PM

take out the ac? i think you should get one first, and see what you think, you might not think its such a pig any more.
And this little piggy bit you in the ass lol

RAdams 09-17-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talwell (Post 937162)

Perfect response.

RatedZ - you really shouldn't focus on ONE and ONLY ONE aspect of a vehicle. I mean, how interested are you in the cars that are 500 lbs lighter but only have 100 horsepower?

And to turn into your dad for an moment, throwing around derogatory terms on an enthusiast website is pretty rude.

Milk 1027 09-17-2009 08:49 PM

if you want to drop down somewhere close to the mustang's weight, do the Independent rear suspension conversion to a solid-rear axle.

I personally wouldn't sacrifice ride quality

OUR72GTO 09-17-2009 08:50 PM

Leave your girl freind at home.

Mr. Wyndham 09-17-2009 08:50 PM

It IS 3900 lbs. It is NOT a pig. It doesn't drive like a pig, it doesn't accelerate like a pig, it doesn't handle like a pig. The car is planted, light on its feet, and crisp.

You don't need to believe me...and I'm glad you want to buy one. But for your own sake, try and test drive it -- you'll see that I'm speaking the truth. :)

On a side note, did you know that removing 500 lbs (which you'll never be able to do if you plan to drive it daily, so forget about it)...but I digress, if you remove 500 lbs, that's equivalent to adding only ~50hp? "The more you know..."

Milk 1027 09-17-2009 08:57 PM

can someone ask a question here without being bombarded with attacks?
Seriously, he asked a simple question. No need to do that. Either answer the question or stay out of it respectfully.

thank you.

Kelso 09-17-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talwell (Post 937231)
The Mustang might be lighter - but I will push a Camaro before I drive a Mustang.

thts good stuff :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Windy City 09-17-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUR72GTO (Post 938326)
Leave your girl freind at home.

SWEET:thumbup:

rodimus prime 09-17-2009 09:14 PM

This car is nowhere near a ground up design. Its a shortened up g8. That is why its heavy. Because its a shrunken down sedan.

Mr. Wyndham 09-17-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodimus prime (Post 938436)
This car is nowhere near a ground up design. Its a shortened up g8. That is why its heavy. Because its a shrunken down sedan.

Yes, and no. It shares some components with the G8, but they did revise the Zeta platform from the ground up for the Camaro. That's why it's internally referred to as "Zeta II". Most of the reason for the car's weight is in the robustness of the design, and the outstanding structural rigidity. It's one of the strongest-bodied cars GM's ever produced.

POWERFREAK 09-17-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 937175)
Get rid of the independent

:word: x1000

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUR72GTO (Post 938326)
Leave your girl friend at home.

:sm0: :bellyroll:

ravensjeff 09-17-2009 09:46 PM

OP sounds like a disrespecting Taurus owner.

rex113 09-17-2009 09:57 PM

I love each and every pound of my 2ss ls3 camaro.:wub:

DTM 09-17-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onechuck (Post 937064)

BS, I feel it every time I step on the gas, even though it is fast

jayson71 09-17-2009 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatedZ (Post 937034)

Try this, I know it is a V6 but it can work on the SS as well.

Milk 1027 09-17-2009 10:02 PM

can we stop with the smart @$$ comments now?