Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SS vs Z. Why?? Not another Z28 Thread!! Just curious. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16785)

TRIXXTERR 03-26-2009 08:55 PM

SS vs Z. Why?? Not another Z28 Thread!! Just curious.

OK. I have been wondering about this Whole SS Vs. Z28 hoopla..For as long as i can remember the Z28 was always topdog. I mean why did GM change from the Z being the topdog to the SS?? And I Dont mean specificlly the Z28. Everything..well everything EXCEPT on the Vettes.

Corvette ZL1
Corvette Z06.
Corvette Zr1

CAMARO ..ZL1
CAMARO.. Z28
Cavalier.. Z24
Beretta.. Z26
Avalanche.. Z66
Lumina.. Z34
Silverado/Tahoe Z71.
I am sure there are more but these are all it can think of at the moment.But Now its All SS.

Cobalt SS
Impala SS
Silverado SS (what a joke)
Malibu SS
Monte Carlo SS

That being said IF ANYTHING can be an SS then whats the point? Just because it is top of the line for a particular model does that REALLY make it worthy of the title SUPER SPORT?? I Mean What Is so SUPER about the Malibu, Impala,Or Monte?? And the Silverado? do I even need to go there?
I Spend most of my youth drooling:drool::wub:/dreaming,and scheming a way to get my hands on a Z28. Why? Cause It was the TOP DOG:happyanim:. and the ultimate Chevy had to offer..That and i never really cared for the Vette until the restyle in 98..

But Why Lump everything into one group?? ..SS..
I think with the SS moniker being used on everything it will loose its appeal,:cry: and will end up being like every other car on the road and nothing more.:(

Discuss. PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER OF THOSE Z28 THREADS. I am just wondering about the SS and Z as a whole not just for the CAMARO..

AngryAmish 03-26-2009 09:36 PM

You forgot the 454 SS. Quite possibly the only truck I've ever liked. Those things ROCKED.

Tactical Z 03-26-2009 09:38 PM

You missed

SSR
HHR SS
SS S10

Yes it does deserve the SS name..

TRIXXTERR 03-26-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryAmish (Post 365833)
You forgot the 454 SS. Quite possibly the only truck I've ever liked. Those things ROCKED.

Nah I Didn't Forget it. I just felt that the 454SS didn't fit the profile of the others listed.. Meaning That the BadA$$ Silverado, earned The Title 454SS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactical Z (Post 365838)
You also forgot the Trailblazer SS

Hmm That One i did forget.. Ok. But does it perform well. Does it deserve the SS name? I dunno.

truth411 03-26-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRIXXTERR (Post 365695)
OK. I have been wondering about this Whole SS Vs. Z28 hoopla..For as long as i can remember the Z28 was always topdog. I mean why did GM change from the Z being the topdog to the SS?? And I Dont mean specificlly the Z28. Everything..well everything EXCEPT on the Vettes.

Corvette ZL1
Corvette Z06.
Corvette Zr1

CAMARO ..ZL1
CAMARO.. Z28
Cavalier.. Z24
Beretta.. Z34
Avalanche.. Z66
Silverado/Tahoe Z71.
I am sure there are more but these are all it can think of at the moment.But Now its All SS.

Cobalt SS
Impala SS
Silverado SS (what a joke)
Malibu SS
Monte Carlo SS

That being said IF ANYTHING can be an SS then whats the point? Just because it is top of the line for a particular model does that REALLY make it worthy of the title SUPER SPORT?? I Mean What Is so SUPER about the Malibu, Impala,Or Monte?? And the Silverado? do I even need to go there?
I Spend most of my youth drooling:drool::wub:/dreaming,and scheming a way to get my hands on a Z28. Why? Cause It was the TOP DOG:happyanim:. and the ultimate Chevy had to offer..That and i never really cared for the Vette until the restyle in 98..

But Why Lump everything into one group?? ..SS..
I think with the SS moniker being used on everything it will loose its appeal,:cry: and will end up being like every other car on the road and nothing more.:(

Discuss. PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER OF THOSE Z28 THREADS. I am just wondering about the SS and Z as a whole not just for the CAMARO..

Actually the 1st gen Z28's were not about big hp, but were about handling made to win the trans am racing. They were equiped with reletively high revving 5.0 302 V8's. If you get technical about what a z28 is, then it is basicaly a track ready street car that is more about Handling and Brakeing then straight line speed.

TRIXXTERR 03-26-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth411 (Post 365866)
Actually the 1st gen Z28's were not about big hp, but were about handling made to win the trans am racing. They were equiped with reletively high revving 5.0 302 V8's. If you get technical about what a z28 is, then it is basicaly a track ready street car that is more about Handling and Brakeing then straight line speed.

Uhh Yeah BUUUT that would make it the TOP DOG. BEST OF EVERYTHING available. So It Still Fits. I'm not talking about JUST HP i'm talking over all package. yes performance figures in there too but it's not the ONLY thing.

IMO the Z designation has always been the best, I'm NOT talking about the stripped down racers that were the 60-70s Chevelles, Malibus etc that were all SS.

I guess I am just saying that i dont agree with putting badges on a car/truck that it doesnt deserve.. kinda Like Putting GTR badges on a Honda.

Beamer 03-26-2009 10:28 PM

I think the Beretta was a Z26, there was a Lumina z34

TRIXXTERR 03-26-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beamer (Post 365982)
I think the Beretta was a Z26, there was a Lumina z34

Oooh. My Bad your right.. I Fixed.

Camaro_Corvette 03-26-2009 10:57 PM

IMO, the Cobalt SS is a bad Mother F'R!!!

nester7929 03-26-2009 11:28 PM

The king of all muscle cars, the 454 Chevelle, was an SS.

manimsoblack 03-27-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nester7929 (Post 366071)
The king of all muscle cars, the 454 Chevelle, was an SS.

Randomly i've seen about 5 of these around town lately... weird.

Milk 1027 03-27-2009 01:14 AM

In the 60's SS was top dog.

NAHURRY 03-27-2009 07:20 AM

:bonk: stupid me, I always thought the ss was top dog. I geuss is was only
for the 60s.

Scott@Bjorn3D 03-27-2009 07:28 AM

SS was top dog in the late 90's early 2000's also.