Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Supercharger (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703)

PureEvil 09-30-2007 02:07 PM

Supercharger

I am not all that familiar with what kind of superchargers chevy uses or what not seeing as I am a hard core SVT Cobra guy. However not too long ago I was reading an article on a website I believe rumoring how gm is planning bringing over the whipple. For those that dont know what a whipple is, a whipple is a supercharger that ford has been using for a while. I honestly believe that you may see the whipple on top of the "big dawg." Just like the Svt Cobra has the eaton.

DGthe3 09-30-2007 03:10 PM

IF the top Camaro comes with a supercharger (I'd say its 50-50 at best) then it is likely going to be the on a 600 hp version of the LS3 with the roots type blower that is going into the super corvette. However, if it doesn't come that way from the factory, I'm sure that there will be an LS3 Camaro from the factory and a supercharger kit that you can buy from GMPP (or any number of other after market suppliers) and install seperately.

Oh, and for those that don't know, a roots supercharger uses a pair of meshing lobes while a whipple uses a pair of screws. Roots are simple, cheap, and easy to make;while whipples are more expensive, more efficient, and harder to make.

Mr. Wyndham 09-30-2007 03:16 PM

And Prochargers put them all to sleep! ...:sm0: I had to, sorry.
I'm pretty sure we'll see a roots if any.

PureEvil 09-30-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 25240)
And Prochargers put them all to sleep! ...:sm0: I had to, sorry.
I'm pretty sure we'll see a roots if any.

Yes I know what a whipple is and hence why they call it a twin screw supercharger. Yea prochargers are beasts but I would rather have a twin turbo set up.... maybe something like a twin 61 set up.lol.:D

Mr. Wyndham 09-30-2007 05:49 PM

Sounds intimidating.:D

Don't know exactly why, but I've just never been a fan of Turbos...:iono:

Power Junkie 10-01-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 25251)
Sounds intimidating.:D

Don't know exactly why, but I've just never been a fan of Turbos...:iono:

Might be something to do with the dreaded "turbo lag" :D ..... my turbo is great when it comes to life, and if you can keep it on boost it's great... but if you don't get it right.:cry:

Not a problem Superchargers suffer from.

RichieFlorida 10-01-2007 06:30 PM

Prochargers are terrible for waranty problems. Paxton is excellent. One of the reasons Paxtons have taken off. Any system can have problems. Most company tend to ignore them and hope you go away.

I started with procharges and all I use now are Paxtons.

PureEvil 10-01-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieFlorida (Post 25332)
Prochargers are terrible for waranty problems. Paxton is excellent. One of the reasons Paxtons have taken off. Any system can have problems. Most company tend to ignore them and hope you go away.

dude I just noticed where you live, you live like an hr north of me if that.

RichieFlorida 10-01-2007 07:56 PM

Howdy neighbor. We have a little get together at Hooters in Clearwater quite often. I will give you a heads up next time I go over there.

PureEvil 10-01-2007 08:10 PM

lol cool maybe I will come down if I am not busy next time the meet is in clearwater.

stevenm357 10-01-2007 08:54 PM

What turbo'd car do you have in todays marketplace there is very little turbo lag.... best 2 things. More HP.. they don't rob Any power from the engine.. adn they sound absolutely awesome!

Mr. Wyndham 10-01-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieFlorida (Post 25332)

Do Paxtons make as much oompf, as the Prochargers? I don't know, the whole self-contained system (i.e. no engine oil) is very appealing to me...

Power Junkie 10-02-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenm357 (Post 25347)
What turbo'd car do you have in todays marketplace there is very little turbo lag.... best 2 things. More HP.. they don't rob Any power from the engine.. adn they sound absolutely awesome!

Well my car isn't exactly brand new... it's a 95 Toyota Celica GT4... as far as i know the U.S never got this model, not sure why.

It's not very laggy to be fair... not like an EVO FQ400MR... but it does suffer a bit from heat soak through the charge cooler and i don't think the cooler is that efficient anyway as the air path is very short.

The tuirbo mine has isn't that big just about gives 1 bar (14 psi) but it's enough for around (with a couple of tweeks) 260bhp at the crank... and 0-60 in about 6.0 seconds, maybe a little less.... lag really depends on the size of turbo and the length of the air path.

Mr. Wyndham 10-02-2007 01:20 PM

Just looked at Paxton's site. They've got quite an impressive setup, but - They've never made any systems for an F-body!

Is there reason to believe they'll make a system for the new Camaro?