Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   TSB VS Waranty Help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452326)

brhea21 05-13-2016 01:49 PM

TSB VS Waranty Help

Hello All, Ill just jump straight in. I have a 2013 ZL1, 7900 miles and its started making the rear end whining noise. The dealer said it is not covered under the powertrain waranty because its just a TSB. They want $355 just to do the fluid change procedure. Am I wrong that this should not cost me anything? I just want to make sure im not off base with this.

To be honest the debate is frustrating. My best friend has a 11 Shelby GT500. Transmission started having problems. It was completely out of waranty and they didnt blink for a tranny swap. Didnt cost him a dime. THAT is customer service.

Anyway, can someone school me up on the TSB vs Waranty coverage. I wanna be as smart as possible or maybe i just have to pay out. Ha. Thanks guys.

catlettZL1 05-13-2016 01:56 PM

Find another dealer or just change it out yourself I've used the gm ls fluid specified and have had zero issues its $ pricey though

brhea21 05-13-2016 02:10 PM

Its most likely what ill do. I just want to see if the dealer is trying to get over on me. Thanks

1troyd23 05-13-2016 02:22 PM

Let's see...3/yr 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty at least ? Did you buy any type of GMPP extended warranty ?? To me, I would find another dealer or take it higher that the service rep at the dealer you went to. If you are not passed the 3yr mark, it should be covered.

brhea21 05-13-2016 02:41 PM

The 3 year/ 36k is out as of Jan. But shouldnt the 5year/100k mile powertrain cover it?

nighttowl 05-13-2016 02:43 PM

Change the fluid out and the noise will go away.
I had the same issue around 8k miles and swapped it out.
Now i'm at 15 and still no issues.

brhea21 05-13-2016 02:49 PM

I think its just the principal of the thing. As well as my thirst to understand. Here is a clip from the GM website concerning waranty

Drive Systems

Drive system coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals, and gaskets, as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (e.g., front differential actuator). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors related to drive systems, as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming

After reading it again, I guess the fluid isn't covered so I guess they are right. I just figured since it was an "issue" from the factory it would be handled. Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have the part number for the correct fluid. Or just what they have at the dealership good? Thanks again

jayno20 05-13-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brhea21 (Post 9090818)
I think its just the principal of the thing. As well as my thirst to understand. Here is a clip from the GM website concerning waranty

Drive Systems

Drive system coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals, and gaskets, as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (e.g., front differential actuator). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors related to drive systems, as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming

After reading it again, I guess the fluid isn't covered so I guess they are right. I just figured since it was an "issue" from the factory it would be handled. Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have the part number for the correct fluid. Or just what they have at the dealership good? Thanks again

I was under the impression the differential would be covered under the drive train warranty myself... :noidea:

Sven59 05-13-2016 04:22 PM

There are two separate issues that have been happening to the rears. One is a kind of whining sound mainly taking slow corners when the car hasn't warmed up. There is a TSB for that mainly changing fluid and figure 8s etc. The other condition is your backlash might be off, mainly heard on decel. If that is the case it is a minimum ring and pinion swap.

brhea21 05-13-2016 04:30 PM

That makes sense. I didnt want to start another rear end noise thread. Ive read all those. My main concern was way am i being asked to pay for an issue coming outta the factory. Thanks for the responses guys

brhea21 05-13-2016 04:31 PM

Oh and mine is the whining while taking turns cold. Ill just figure out what fluid to use and do it myself. Thanks again guys.

Sven59 05-13-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brhea21 (Post 9091063)
That makes sense. I didnt want to start another rear end noise thread. Ive read all those. My main concern was way am i being asked to pay for an issue coming outta the factory. Thanks for the responses guys

I have had both issues, both were fixed by dealer under warranty. Good luck.

brhea21 05-13-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven59 (Post 9091074)
I have had both issues, both were fixed by dealer under warranty. Good luck.

Question for you. Were you still under the 3 year 36k waranty? Or had that already expired?

Sven59 05-13-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brhea21 (Post 9091084)
Question for you. Were you still under the 3 year 36k waranty? Or had that already expired?

Yes I was, that should be drive train. Not sure if TSBS are considered warranty or not though.