Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Car keeps stalling out. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463314)

kville988 08-13-2016 08:42 PM

Car keeps stalling out.

So my car is blowing out a lot of white smoke and it idles rough when I stop or when I slow down. Then it kills. Sometimes it kicks back in before it dies on its own. Like a cammed car. Except I'm not cammed. Headers, exhaust, and intake is all I have. Yesterday here I. Louisiana it rained very hard and flooded. I got home just in time but my street was flooded. Even though I drive very slow, the trucks passing by didn't. Do y'all think I sucked up any water. I have a CAI intake. It's not low to the ground. Also I filled my tank up yesterday however I did it at a shell I always go to. So that's all I have right now. I have to put my camaro in neutral and keep revving it so that it doesn't die on me. Please help. No CEL or any warnings. I pulled my fuses to reset the octane and I also checked the MAF sensor and didn't see anything wrong. What now?

Edit: codes popped up. P2096 and P2098

redcoats1976 08-14-2016 02:46 AM

maybe water in the gas when you filled up?im thinking it all started right around that time.try adding a couple of cans of dry gasand driving till the tank is almost empty.then get gas at another station.

nikon2003 08-14-2016 05:27 AM

I got stuck in a rainstorm in my firebird back in the day, and had removed all the plastic guards around my air filter so it sucked in a little water. Ran like complete crap, dying etc. Got home and pulled apart as I feared I had hurt the motor but it turned out to be water/moisture on the Maf electrodes.

christianchevell 08-14-2016 08:25 AM

water or radiator fluid usually makes white smoke. So clean the maf, and I would add some dry tank , your engine may have been exposed to bungholes wake , or the gs you got fouled.

NC_SS 08-14-2016 08:46 AM

Couldn't this be a head gasket?

zr1chris 08-14-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_SS (Post 9258326)
Couldn't this be a head gasket?

Yes it could.
Pull the dipstick and see what it looks like.

jd10013 08-14-2016 09:55 AM

white smoke is almost always antifreeze burning from a blown head gasket. pull your dipstick. if there is antifreeze in there, you'll know.

ChrisBlair 08-14-2016 09:58 AM

Agree with the head gasket. If the oil looks like chocolate milk or seems frothy or bubbly, you have a blown head gasket.

jd10013 08-14-2016 10:02 AM

of course if it's a head gasket, you'll be blowing a lot of white smoke, clouds of it. especially when you start it up. antifreeze will pool in the cylinders.

ChrisBlair 08-14-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kville988 (Post 9257930)
So my car is blowing out a lot of white smoke

he says its blowing out a lot of white smoke

1KillerSS 08-14-2016 02:18 PM

Check your dipstick, see what color the oil is, sounds like a blown head gasket.

kville988 08-14-2016 02:33 PM

There isn't any sweet smell. The engine itself looks good. The dipstick looks like it should with oil on it. I will get a picture for you guys. I'm not sure what everyone consider is A lot of white smoke but what I'm saying is when my car was fine you wouldn't see anything so the smoke coming out now is a lot to me. It's not clouds of it. It's like kind of faint. As if it's winter time and you letting the car warm up. It's a lot to me cuz I've never seen it. The coolant dip stick is on target as well. I pulled my spark wires and they were dry. Have yet to pull the plugs. It's raining off and on. I got a CEL now finally and it says p2096 and p2098 post cat fuel trim system is too lean. Do y'all think I can still blow a gasket on a fairly new car? I guess anything is possible. But I don't see those signs. I will keep y'all updated. It's still pouring down and it's the weekend so it's not much I can do. Pics to come soon so y'all can help me get to root cause

1KillerSS 08-14-2016 02:34 PM

isn't it still under warranty?

kville988 08-14-2016 04:12 PM

Yes it should still be under warranty. I just hate to be without it if it's something simple I can fix. I have 31000 miles on it.