Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sold the camaro to a dealer and now they want their money back. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464318)

Supercharged2011 08-23-2016 10:17 AM

Sold the camaro to a dealer and now they want their money back.

Hey Guys, so last week I sold my car to a local Toyota dealership and I get a phone call yesterday saying that my car looks like it has been raced very hard and at one time had a roll cage installed. The sales manger proceeded to tell me that there is holes in the body from where the roll cage was mounted and that qualifies as frame damage in the state of California. Does anyone know if this is correct? Do I indeed need to give the money back and pick up the car? Also I already paid off the loan and don't have the money laying around to "buy back" the car? Thank you in advance for any insight on all this, I'm kind of stressing out about this.

flipstyledsm22 08-23-2016 10:23 AM

If you bought it second hand, tell him you had no knowledge of anything being done to the car prior to you. Then tell him all sales are final.

His fault his dealership did not perform a thorough inspection of the vehicle before exchanging cash.

vinman 08-23-2016 10:25 AM

Did you give them a warranty or sell it as is?

flipstyledsm22 08-23-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinman (Post 9273852)
Did you give them a warranty or sell it as is?

If it was a dealership, mostly likely it was a sale 'as is'. They typically don't want any ties with you after their screwing... It's pretty ironic though, that the dealership is upset with a purchase :smiling1:

Dizzy82 08-23-2016 10:43 AM

Did you lie about the vehicle being modified during the sale?

JerTM 08-23-2016 10:46 AM

They wouldn't give you your money back if you had bought it and discovered all that so I see no reason why you should have to do the same.

Ledzepx 08-23-2016 10:47 AM

Really depends. Are you the original owner? If so did you let them know that the car was being raced? If your the second owner then no you should not responsable. If you didnt know. Not your fault. There fault trying to make a sale quick and not checking the camaro over. Then there problem.

sherob 08-23-2016 10:47 AM

I would be going over the paperwork you signed... make sure there aren't any * or ** or *** that can screw you over.

ChrisBlair 08-23-2016 11:01 AM

Might be worth lawyering up...but...the car's been out of your control for a week.

If the shoe was on the other foot, the dealership would tell you tough luck, they can't know what you did to the car in a week.

Supercharged2011 08-23-2016 11:02 AM

I'm the second owner of the car, I did bring the car in to the dealer twice to get a appraisal on what they would give me and at that time they took the car into the back and did a "inspection", I don't know what the inspection entailed but I assumed at the time they went over the whole car to make sure it was road worthy.

Ledzepx 08-23-2016 11:04 AM

Well then. There problem. Two times you say. Well who ever looked at should be responsable.

ChrisBlair 08-23-2016 11:05 AM

Well...was there ever a roll cage installed?

13BRM2SSRS 08-23-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerTM (Post 9273909)
They wouldn't give you your money back if you had bought it and discovered all that so I see no reason why you should have to do the same.

+1 no doubt!

MrChrisLS3 08-23-2016 11:55 AM

If you didn't install a roll cage, then provide evidence that you bought the car used and were unaware of these modifications. They will probably persist with their legal department. Civil cases, in most courts, the burden of the plaintiff is prove their case more likely than not. If you can show that you never had a roll cage in it, perhaps pictures of the car spanning the time range you owned the car, you'll win.

Warning, disclosure goes for both dealer sales and private sales. So, if you knew it was modified at one point, and didn't disclose it, they might have a good case. Even though they have every tool at their disposal to inspect the car, they can't really dig too deep into until they own it, so the claim that they inspected the car and should've seen it then may not hold water. However, this will also help you if you can make it more likely than not that you had no idea about it.

What will probably happen is that the dealer will make a decision if it is worth pursuing in court. Since this will take some time, more likely than not, they will sell the car wholesale and come after you for the difference. Of course, at this point you will want to hire a lawyer. If you actually didn't know about the roll cage, your lawyer may be able to go after whoever sold you the car. The bright spot in this strategy might be that you can hold off having to pay until you get paid, at which point the dealer might just drop the case. Of course, you'll have to pay your lawyer.

P.S. If you did modify and race the car, keep in mind that social media can bite you in the behind on this one.