Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ls3 valve springs (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512506)

tbss1 11-05-2017 12:56 AM

ls3 valve springs

I'm going to change my valve springs, and I want to pressurize the cylinder with compressed air. to hold the valves up. How much air can I pressurize the cylinder with, without hurting the rings? after this I can do the Whipple install.

racesloth 11-05-2017 07:14 AM

Last time I did this - I just used 120lbs of air....

xc_SS/RS 11-05-2017 07:22 AM

I think I used 90 psi last time I did valve springs. What tool do you have?

ZO6 Bryan 11-05-2017 08:15 AM

Nothing your air compressor could put out would ever hurt those rings.

christianchevell 11-05-2017 08:29 AM

Yes whatever you can put out, yet.....4:10 gears are pretty steep hopefully your nice to the things as I have heard over the years the higher you go the more prone to breakage and the only cases I heard of were 4:10- 4:11 as the teeth get so small and if your draggin that's a shock even with all the suspension mods I baby my axles until someday I can get some 1000 hp drag axles and or a zl1 rear... Good Luck I know its hard getting help in Hawaii...And a whipple...More likely to make too much boost for stock hypereutectic ....2300-2900? Your going to have to keep it turned down, and I don't see on your list of mods a cam..... so worrying about the springs? I would too with boost and want duals....

Russell James 11-05-2017 08:29 AM

You'll find the sweet spot. Too little and the valve will open when compressing the spring. Too much and the motor will spin.

Once pressurized, tapping the retainer with a socket and heavy rubber hammer helps to free up the locks. They can tend to bond themselves to the retainer/valve. If the valve just keeps going down when using the spring removal tool. Tap on the retainer again with the socket and hammer. Some can be stubborn if on there a while. I have a BBC drag motor that after a season of racing, takes a small sledge/socket whack with about 140lbs in the cyl to break them free. If you tap the retainer top with a socket and hammer, and air pressure pops out...the locks are stuck. As soon as they free up, the hit will just bounce the spring without the air pop. Then crank down the spring remover.

tbss1 11-05-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianchevell (Post 9964380)
I don't see on your list of mods a cam..... so worrying about the springs? I would too with boost and want duals....

Yah, I didn’t mention, I did get a blower cam. I bought everything from Jannetty racing. I just finished the cam install doing valve spring, seats and seals. Did cam, timing chain, gear, milling oil pump, pined crank, crank seal, and I have to do the trunnion upgrade. When I’m done I’ll start the supercharger
My son has been helping me cause I have back problems, he into turbo Subaru’s, since he’s been helping me he seems interested on doing most of the work, he says it’s easier then working on his car. I told him “you weren’t here when I had to center the oil pump, then the timing cover” it wasn’t that bad, just takes time. I told him it’s just a lot of little details when putting thing back together.

NikolaiD 11-06-2017 11:14 AM

I've done a few by just rotating the engine, so each piston is at TDC when you're working on it, that way there's 0 chance of the valves falling in.
No air needed, much easier and faster. Just stick a long straw in the spark plug hole until you feel the piston at the highest positions.

2010_camaro 11-10-2017 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikolaiD (Post 9965425)
I've done a few by just rotating the engine, so each piston is at TDC when you're working on it, that way there's 0 chance of the valves falling in.
No air needed, much easier and faster. Just stick a long straw in the spark plug hole until you feel the piston at the highest positions.

How I did mine

2SSLincolnSS2 11-14-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

I did mine this way too. No problem, valves not going anywhere with the piston at tdc. Did the first couple with compressed air and then decided I didn't want to waste any more time getting the cylinder pressurized; what a pain that was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hammdo 11-14-2017 11:08 PM

Agreed, safest was to insure no dropped valves...

-Don

Clarkstar 11-15-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

This is the meathod I use too...works great!