Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Hawk brake pads (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532809)

jdpeezy91 07-01-2018 12:09 PM

Hawk brake pads

Anyone running Hawk brake pads? Which ones are you running and what is your opinion on them so far? Im needing to switch brake pads in the front to get rid of the roller skates to run my skinnies thinking of going with hawks but they have many different options and have read both good and bad whats your opinion?

Coz3z3 07-01-2018 01:17 PM

I would suggest calling them. That's what I did. Talked to their tech and told them what i would be doing and they recommended what set and gave me part numbers

shibbs 07-01-2018 01:26 PM

If you want Hawk brakes for the front that don't have the rollerskates, search by application for brakes that fit a Subaru WRX STI.

I'm running their StreetRace pads (DTC-30) and they're a bit too aggressive for my use case. They're absolutely awesome, but a bit more than I need.

jdpeezy91 07-01-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibbs (Post 10236412)
If you want Hawk brakes for the front that don't have the rollerskates, search by application for brakes that fit a Subaru WRX STI.

I'm running their StreetRace pads (DTC-30) and they're a bit too aggressive for my use case. They're absolutely awesome, but a bit more than I need.

So if i order front pads for my car they will have the rollerskates on them still? It was my understanding that aftermarket pads did not have rollerskates

Coz3z3 07-02-2018 09:39 AM

My Hawk pads to not have them

pyroguy 07-02-2018 09:56 AM

I have hawk ceramic pads and I’m very happy with them. For me the major benefit was not having piles of brake dust on my wheels after 10 miles of driving. They perform well, don’t squeak, and like I said don’t dust anywhere near what the Brembos did.

jdpeezy91 07-02-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroguy (Post 10237091)
I have hawk ceramic pads and I’m very happy with them. For me the major benefit was not having piles of brake dust on my wheels after 10 miles of driving. They perform well, don’t squeak, and like I said don’t dust anywhere near what the Brembos did.

Hows the stopping better then stock or similar? I do see high speeds a good bit [emoji2] which ones did u go with HPS?

sscamaro 07-02-2018 02:14 PM

I've had Hawk ceramic pads on my SS for 8 years and there is very little dust and they stop fine. Mine are for the street and are in a yellow box. I got front and rear.

trodecke 07-02-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 (Post 10236452)
So if i order front pads for my car they will have the rollerskates on them still? It was my understanding that aftermarket pads did not have rollerskates

I bought some Powerstop Z26 pads for my car back in March and not only did they have the roller skates, the roller skate parts stood just slightly taller than the OEM brakes.

BLU DUCE 07-02-2018 04:46 PM

Spike III Build 2011 IBM 1SS/RS [COTW 6/25/12]

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 (Post 10236372)
Anyone running Hawk brake pads? Which ones are you running and what is your opinion on them so far? Im needing to switch brake pads in the front to get rid of the roller skates to run my skinnies thinking of going with hawks but they have many different options and have read both good and bad whats your opinion?

I replaced my OEM brakes with Hawk Performance HPS ceramic pads 5 years ago. Like the other people have said they do not have the rollers skates on them and lowered the brake dusk severly.
I was told when I changed my pads that the reason on the roller skates was to stop vibration in the pads when the brakes were applied. I can't myself say this is true.
But I can say my brakes did not vibrate when changed. I have put my car on Watkins Glen road course at least 5 times since putting them on and never a problem and been at speeds of over 100 mph with no problems yet. I have 39,000 miles on the car and don't baby it. And will

have a lot of camaro people in are club will verify to this in my driving.:thanks:

redirish 07-02-2018 05:46 PM

I also have the hawks street in the yellow box. One of my first mods got really tired of the brake dust from the stock pads. Work good!

pyroguy 07-02-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 (Post 10237217)
Hows the stopping better then stock or similar? I do see high speeds a good bit [emoji2] which ones did u go with HPS?

I have the yellow box ones. They stop similar to stock. I wouldn’t say better, but very similar. I also upgraded to slotted rotors when I upgraded the pads.

CamaroFred 07-02-2018 07:37 PM

Why don't you just cut the weights off your pads?
A few minutes with a hacksaw or quicker with a dremel.

joeybsyc 07-02-2018 09:32 PM

I have PowerStop Z26's, they have rollerskates, and look very similar to OEM, which is what i wanted. They make just about NO dust, and i can't tell any difference in stopping power from the stock ones. It's awesome to drive all day and come home with spotless wheels.