Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hurst Short Shifter Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568699)

BHB4408 01-21-2020 07:52 PM

Hurst Short Shifter Question

I installed a new Hurst Short Shifter in my 2010 2SS M6. Disappointed because it's hard to hit the shifts when drag racing, especially 1st to 2nd. Very notchy and I miss that shift often.

Should I get a different shifter? MGW? or is the fix as simple as changing to a transmission fluid of some special type? or is there some adjustment I need to make?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

BHB

Spec 01-21-2020 07:56 PM

MGW is a great alt option... but before you swap it, try a heavier knob. Helps tremendously with the notchiness...

Had I not found me a good heavy knob, I'd have probably swapped out my HURST... but this thing helped alot, felt really good.

TWMperformance.com... I've got the Abrams Black Pearl... :)

Wizard1183 01-21-2020 08:02 PM

This^^^^. MGW is hands down the best. Shifts like butter. Almost impossible to miss a gear. Road noise but no notchy shifts. 3hr install.

Greenhornet2 01-21-2020 08:13 PM

I hear MGW is great. First i would change your fluid try redline d4 atf. No shifter can make up for crummy synchros. I'll be upgrading the synchros when i do the clutch.

BHB4408 01-21-2020 08:23 PM

Thanks Guys. I'll get a heavier knob, change to Redline d4 atf, and give it a shot. If it doesn't improve, I'll go MGW. Appreciate the help.

lemontwist 01-21-2020 08:43 PM

i have the hurst. how can you miss the 1-2 shift??? 2-3 maybe but 1-2???:noidea:
the only problem i have is the tr6060 1-2 high rpm grind when it's cold it drives me crazy it's winter so the trans never really warms up.my car has 24k on it the 6060 kinda sucks my t56 never did it with over 100k on it.

Mr V 01-21-2020 09:11 PM

You could try the hurst pit pack. Plan on installing on mine before spring. It has stainless steel bushing with a polymer liner that is supposed to have tighter tolerances. I was going to switch to D4 at the same time but research on the forums seems to show MTL is smoother if you only drive when warm (I store it over the winter). I have a gallon of D4 not opened if you want to shoot me an offer. $50 on amazon.

Camaro2ss2010 01-21-2020 09:17 PM

MGW for the win. Hands down one of the best things I’ve done to my car.

lemontwist 01-21-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr V (Post 10705760)
You could try the hurst pit pack. Plan on installing on mine before spring. It has stainless steel bushing with a polymer liner that is supposed to have tighter tolerances. I was going to switch to D4 at the same time but research on the forums seems to show MTL is smoother if you only drive when warm (I store it over the winter). I have a gallon of D4 not opened if you want to shoot me an offer. $50 on amazon.

i did the d4 thing from amazon i didn't really see a improvement but if you are changing your trans fluid like you should ya can't go wrong with it. tick performance will be my next move for the revised parts in the trans.
i don't think the pit pac will help much it's fine and alot better than stock out of the package.i went hurst so i cant speak on the MGW but those that have them love em.

BHB4408 01-22-2020 12:07 AM

Yes, it's the 1st to 2nd that gives me the most problems. Works fine when normal driving, but under high loads, it's very notchy going in, which makes quick shifting really hard. I think I'm just going to cut my losses and go with MGW. I hope it works much better. Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

Mr V 01-22-2020 01:41 PM

Heard nothing but good things about MGW so sure you will be happy with the upgrade.

lemontwist 01-22-2020 07:22 PM

chime in after you swap it over,the springs are in the trans so most the notchey feeling should be coming from the trans i suppose it's possible the hurst amplifies it and the mgw negates it.
i already spent 275 for the hurst so if i got 150 for it i would consider myself lucky the mgw is like 350 without the knob so for 350 you still have to buy a knob for 35 bucks wtf.....after the $125 loss and new expenditure i would looking at around 500 for a shifter seems like alot of money. compared to the mgw hurst is kinda a ripoff you don't get much for what you pay. unless it's night and day i'm sticking with the hurst. lmk

:popcorn::burnrubber:

Greenhornet2 01-22-2020 08:13 PM

The d4 helped me. Mostly when cold. I still can't shift as fast as i want but i knew i need the synchro upgrade. I'll do the mgw with stock knob when i do the clutch. Whole trans will get an upgrade to hold the powa

BHB4408 02-04-2020 10:45 PM

Did the D4 Switch. It didn't help much, or at all. Got a heavier knob, and that made it feel a little better, but if I'm on the gas hard, at higher RPM's, there is an absolute wall trying to go into 2nd gear. I pull hard, I pull light, I pull like I'm trying to shift into 4th. The wall is still there.

Going with the MGW and hoping that will solve the issue.

Thanks for all the help.

BHB