Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Throttle Response ? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592944)

romcjr 05-26-2021 06:56 PM

Throttle Response ?

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I trust the knowledge of the members here .
I installed a CAI cold air kit and the car runs fine BUT , ever since the install it seems like the engine needs to spool up before it kicks in and goes . I don't remember the engine acting like that with the oem airbox . Is this normal operation with a cai install ? Thanks for the help !! :noidea:

Avenging Orange 05-26-2021 07:28 PM

How long has it been on? Sometimes it takes awhile for the computer to adjust.

Ashen L99 05-27-2021 03:15 AM

Did you unplug the battery when you put it on? Most people forget or just don’t and you need to reset the fuel trims. If you don’t it takes forever for the car to adjust.

Greenhornet2 05-27-2021 08:05 AM

the way you describe it sounds more like a transmission slipping issue. Engine revving or "spooling" up before it starts to move? What's that got to do with an airbox? Does the engine rev when you hit the throttle?

romcjr 05-27-2021 05:35 PM

I did not unplug the battery . Will the 5 / 20 fuse pull accomplish a relearn without disconnecting the battery ?

Greenhornet2 , no the engine does not rev up before it moves . There is just a lag from throttle push to engine response . I compared it to spooling up because I have a '17 f250 6.7 diesel and it has to spool up the turbo and there is a similar lag between pedal push and response .

It's been on about a month , but I don't drive it everyday .

I think I will try the fuse pull and see if that changes anything , can't hurt , right . If that doesn't work I guess I will have to disconnect the battery . :noidea:

Thanks for the help and suggestions !!!

1JEWLDSSRS 05-27-2021 06:12 PM

You shouldn't have had any throttle response degradation from that swap. I would do the 5,20 fuse pull AND disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, both overnight and go from there. Should take care of the problem.

romcjr 05-28-2021 06:22 AM

Thanks 1JEWLDSSRS !!! I appreciate your responses . I will update after I do the fuse pull . :thumbup:

Badbubba 05-28-2021 07:01 AM

Thinking it is when you "jab" the throttle. I've had other vehicles that lag when going to a K&N air filter. As well as this Camaro with a CAI intake. Even after a tune and stating the issue to the tuner. It's seems like the MAF doesn't react fast enough with the increased air flow. MAF is original to the car and has a letter and a number. Meaning it is a strong MAF. Also reports correctly when logging. Only way to describe it is like it is taking a gulp of air, then it responds. If you roll into it, it's fine.

Modernmusclecar 05-28-2021 07:14 AM

The cai has nothing to do with the spooling you are talking about. And the computer adjust right away to tjr increase in air flow. If you cant figure it out maybe switch back to stock and see what happens.

Badbubba 05-28-2021 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar (Post 11017458)
The cai has nothing to do with the spooling you are talking about. And the computer adjust right away to tjr increase in air flow. If you cant figure it out maybe switch back to stock and see what happens.

For me, it did. As well as with some other vehicles adding a high flow air filter. Yet other vehicles, no issue. The CAI intake states it needs no tune. It was the 1st mod for me. Still did it after adding headers, exhaust, catch can, scoop and tune. Agreed that it should not, but it does. At least for me on some applications.

Modernmusclecar 05-28-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbubba (Post 11017479)
For me, it did. As well as with some other vehicles adding a high flow air filter. Yet other vehicles, no issue. The CAI intake states it needs no tune. It was the 1st mod for me. Still did it after adding headers, exhaust, catch can, scoop and tune. Agreed that it should not, but it does. At least for me on some applications.

Weird....ive put 3 cai on 3 different vehicles...as well as a few buddies cars with zero issues. Theres a reason why most cai dont require a tune.... its because the cars computer is capable of adjust by itself right away. For me 7 cars with cai and zero issues so who knows. A high flow air filter is a waste of time.

1JEWLDSSRS 05-28-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romcjr (Post 11017441)
Thanks 1JEWLDSSRS !!! I appreciate your responses . I will update after I do the fuse pull . :thumbup:

You are welcome sir!! Good luck and I hope it takes care of the issue.. :thumbup:

1JEWLDSSRS 05-28-2021 08:43 AM

The first mod I did to my Camaro was the K&N Typhoon CAI and had zero issues like this. Our ECU's I have been told can "adapt" right away to these kind of minor changes to the air intake system without any tuning.

Modernmusclecar 05-28-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11017505)
The first mod I did to my Camaro was the K&N Typhoon CAI and had zero issues like this. Our ECU's I have been told can "adapt" right away to these kind of minor changes to the air intake system without any tuning.

You are right the ecu adapts right away to the increased air flow. The fuse pull only resets the octane table so i dont think that will do anything.