CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   PPF (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613534)

Dutch1LE 02-12-2023 10:06 PM

PPF

I have a 2019 zl1 1le. Looking to get PPF done to save the paint in certain areas. When tracking my vette I feel like the front bumper and just in front of the rear tires got it the worst. I was thinking about doing these areas on the Camaro for sure. I’m not trying to go crazy wth the PPF though. Maybe do the headlights as well? What would you do at a bare minimum for a street and light duty track car running some 3r tires. Also planning on doing the rock guards. Not sure if they will help at all.

Christian1LE 02-12-2023 10:11 PM

I have a 1LE, not a ZLE but the car honestly get's hit almost everywhere. Front bumper/headlights/rockers are definitely the worst hit areas. The doors probably take the least amount. Rear quarters take some abuse as well, so do the A pillars and windshield. I have 17 track days and always try to use track tape. I have PPF on the front bumper/headlights and front fenders. The worst area of my car is honestly the windshield, after 1 trackday the windshield was horribly pitted. Either PPF the windshield or accept that you will have to replace it at some point in the future.

Dutch1LE 02-16-2023 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info. I am for sure doing the front bumper, headlights and small portion on the rear fender. Do you feel like front fender is necessary? Anyone have experience with hard hit spots on these cars

BanOne 02-16-2023 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch1LE (Post 11283296)
Thanks for the info. I am for sure doing the front bumper, headlights and small portion on the rear fender. Do you feel like front fender is necessary? Anyone have experience with hard hit spots on these cars

I did the entire front clip including hood, A-pillars and the front part of the roof. I also had in front of the rear tires done and I have cleaned off rubber marks from all areas

arpad_m 02-16-2023 09:04 AM

Don't forget to wrap the mirrors, too, they take regular hits even on the highway.

wrankin 02-16-2023 06:46 PM

Everything said here, plus the door cups, and a strip below the trunk a couple of inches wide, the length of the trunk opening

Bill

Dutch1LE 02-16-2023 07:14 PM

My hood is already wrapped flat black. So I’ll just redo that in the future if I have too. But I was thinking… what about the exposed carbon fiber on the hood. Anyone ever have that done too?

BanOne 02-16-2023 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch1LE (Post 11283500)
My hood is already wrapped flat black. So I’ll just redo that in the future if I have too. But I was thinking… what about the exposed carbon fiber on the hood. Anyone ever have that done too?

Yes had that in addition to the Hood done even though it had the factory stuff on it. I have been told the factory stuff is pretty thin and delicate

MatthewAMEL 02-19-2023 11:35 AM

I did the entire nose, and a 4" strip at the top of the roof and A-pillars.

After 6 years and a LOT of track time, nose of the car was still perfect. Had to replace a couple of windshields, though.

Dutch1LE 02-19-2023 07:29 PM

I’m still sort of undecided on how crazy I should get with the ppf. Part of me wants to do as much as possible without getting too crazy on the cost. Has anyone done over the black vinyl wrap? Or how does one go about protecting the wrap. I havnt even tracked my car yet and I feel like it’s scratched easily already.

2004YZFR1 02-20-2023 12:35 AM

You can do a matte PPF over the hood wrap.

wrankin 02-20-2023 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch1LE (Post 11284440)
Has anyone done over the black vinyl wrap?

My PPF guy tried a non-gloss (matte over matte) PPF as a small test and wasn't happy with the look, so he did the full fenders instead. On most cars and trucks (three of mine) he does a bikini cut rather than a straight line across the hood.

Bill

GAGT 02-20-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch1LE (Post 11284440)
I’m still sort of undecided on how crazy I should get with the ppf. Part of me wants to do as much as possible without getting too crazy on the cost. Has anyone done over the black vinyl wrap? Or how does one go about protecting the wrap. I havnt even tracked my car yet and I feel like it’s scratched easily already.

You won't own the car in 2 years anyway stop worrying.

-Erik

Dutch1LE 02-20-2023 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGT (Post 11284602)
You won't own the car in 2 years anyway stop worrying.

-Erik

Go back to the Tesla forums