Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Elite Engineering catch can cleaning question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622261)

2014 2LT RS 01-10-2024 04:42 PM

Elite Engineering catch can cleaning question

I just scored a used Elite Engineering catch can (the one with one inlet and one outlet) on ebay. I assume I need to clean it before installing. How do I clean the filter media or should I just replace it? Thanks.

Mouse330 01-10-2024 04:57 PM

Its a stainless steel mesh that's in the top of the canister, If your worried about it I would run lacquer thinner through it. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there's a lot of crud in the base. Mine stays very clean.

2014 2LT RS 01-10-2024 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse330 (Post 11395018)
Its a stainless steel mesh that's in the top of the canister, If your worried about it I would run lacquer thinner through it. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there's a lot of crud in the base. Mine stays very clean.

Thanks, I'll check it. The seller said it was only used for 18 months. There were pictures of it taken apart and the base looked clean.

SummitWhite11 01-10-2024 08:20 PM

I'm in need for one as well. I have a 2010 with 99k miles on it and no catch can. Still runs well.. maybe its my luck but don't want to take any chances. Catch cans are surely expensive for just a simple can and hoses. Dang.

1JEWLDSSRS 01-11-2024 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 (Post 11395060)
I'm in need for one as well. I have a 2010 with 99k miles on it and no catch can. Still runs well.. maybe its my luck but don't want to take any chances. Catch cans are surely expensive for just a simple can and hoses. Dang.

Yeah, I've been running one since 2012 when I did the LT install. They have become a popular item, so yep the price of them went up. I have the RX cam custom paint matched, works pretty well.. :thumbup:

Bluebagger06 01-11-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 (Post 11395060)

Just get one off Amazon and make your own hoses, I got one from Evil Energy. With hoses and can have around $50 in it and it works great!

CamaroCracka 01-11-2024 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebagger06 (Post 11395161)
Just get one off Amazon and make your own hoses, I got one from Evil Energy. With hoses and can have around $50 in it and it works great!

An Amazon unit will work and I use some Evil Energy stuff, but the Elite unit is quite a bit higher quality. I picked mine up on here for $100. They come up fairly frequently or at least used to.

2014 2LT RS 01-11-2024 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCracka (Post 11395170)
An Amazon unit will work and I use some Evil Energy stuff, but the Elite unit is quite a bit higher quality. I picked mine up on here for $100. They come up fairly frequently or at least used to.

I must have looked at about a thousand different catch cans. The Elite that I got came up on ebay and the seller wanted 125.00 for it. An hour before the auction ended I offered him 75.00 and he accepted it. Total price with tax and shipping was 93.00. The can looked good in the pictures and it included the hoses, clamps and an extra o-ring. It's even red to match my CRT Camaro.

1JEWLDSSRS 01-11-2024 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014 2LT RS (Post 11395213)
I must have looked at about a thousand different catch cans. The Elite that I got came up on ebay and the seller wanted 125.00 for it. An hour before the auction ended I offered him 75.00 and he accepted it. Total price with tax and shipping was 93.00. The can looked good in the pictures and it included the hoses, clamps and an extra o-ring. It's even red to match my CRT Camaro.

Awesome score!! Just hope it is what you purchased.. :thumbup:

SummitWhite11 01-11-2024 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebagger06 (Post 11395161)

Good find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SummitWhite11 01-11-2024 05:57 PM

Elite Engineering catch can cleaning question

Quote:

I can agree with that. They used to and everyone who is selling is asking for more on “used” item.

Bluebagger06 01-11-2024 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Yeah i guess , but i not sure on where the better quality is! This is a nice little can , with a dipstick and it also came with a red anodized breather that i didnt use, I made some black braided hoses and i love how it turned out, and it definitely catches some oil! I guess its all how ya look at things.

SummitWhite11 01-12-2024 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebagger06 (Post 11395284)
Yeah i guess , but i not sure on where the better quality is! This is a nice little can , with a dipstick and it also came with a red anodized breather that i didnt use, I made some black braided hoses and i love how it turned out, and it definitely catches some oil! I guess its all how ya look at things.

That looks good! I’m trying to find something that is compatible with my 2010 LLT. It is not listed in the descriptions of the ones I have found. I’ll take a $100 catch can than spend 2-$300 on a “name brand” one that does the same thing. If people stop willing to spend top money on certain items, the cost will come down I believe, otherwise it just gives the vendors the okay to raise the cost on these things because they know people are willing to throw money at it.

Bluebagger06 01-12-2024 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 (Post 11395468)
That looks good! I’m trying to find something that is compatible with my 2010 LLT. It is not listed in the descriptions of the ones I have found. I’ll take a $100 catch can than spend 2-$300 on a “name brand” one that does the same thing. If people stop willing to spend top money on certain items, the cost will come down I believe, otherwise it just gives the vendors the okay to raise the cost on these things because they know people are willing to throw money at it.

Yeah i not sure {I take it you have V-6} how they hook up to your car. Just find a good source that explains how ,Then Buy a universal can like this and fab your own mount like i did and make your lines!