CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Is Removing the Sound Plate Under the SC Lid Worth Doing? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625016)

ZPirate 04-20-2024 12:49 PM

Is Removing the Sound Plate Under the SC Lid Worth Doing?

For those who have removed the metal sound plate under the supercharger lid, is it worth doing in order to reduce heat soak? I've read that doing so helps, but the tradeoff, if that is a tradeoff, is slightly more supercharger whine. I've read several threads about removing the plate, but none seem to address the heat issue. I did see a video from someone who tracks his car that claims removing it reduces IATs several degrees.

Z OH 6 04-20-2024 03:06 PM

There's no heatsoak difference. Very slightly more blower whine but it's very subtle.

ZPirate 04-20-2024 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z OH 6 (Post 11419683)
There's no heatsoak difference. Very slightly more blower whine but it's very subtle.

Thanks. Have you been able to compare IATs before and after?

CalgaryZL1 04-20-2024 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In my opinion, the plate is too thin to make a difference other than dampening Sound, if that. I removed mine while installing a catch can. Personally I don’t notice a difference in sound, but I am old and deaf.

ZPirate 04-20-2024 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 (Post 11419707)
In my opinion, the plate is too thin to make a difference other than dampening Sound, if that. I removed mine while installing a catch can. Personally I don’t notice a difference in sound, but I am old and deaf.

It is thin. In the video I saw the guy said that the plate was not aluminum, but possibly steel and that it held in heat more than the cover does. Do you know if the plate is aluminum or something else?

triggerjerk 04-20-2024 06:42 PM

The plate is steel with some sort of coating on it to prevent it affecting the aluminum lid.
It isn't worth your time.
Although, when I pulled my lid off, I noticed that one of the bolt posts was chipped from the factory. I will install a blackwing lid eventually.

CalgaryZL1 04-20-2024 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZPirate (Post 11419713)
It is thin. In the video I saw the guy said that the plate was not aluminum, but possibly steel and that it held in heat more than the cover does. Do you know if the plate is aluminum or something else?

Steel plate.

ZPirate 04-20-2024 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerjerk (Post 11419721)
The plate is steel with some sort of coating on it to prevent it affecting the aluminum lid.
It isn't worth your time.
Although, when I pulled my lid off, I noticed that one of the bolt posts was chipped from the factory. I will install a blackwing lid eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 (Post 11419723)
Steel plate.

Thanks. If the plate is steel pressed against the aluminum cover I could see how it could contribute to the cover holding in heat. My guess that is why the guy who was tracking his ZL1 said it was worth removing the steel plate. Steel is going to hold more heat than aluminum. I just wonder how much actual difference in IATs removing it would make. And I get it might not be worth removing it. I was hoping someone had looked at lATs before and after.

I've run a ScanGuage on my cars for years and one of the things I monitor is IATs (intake temperature). The closer to ambient the better.

WhiteMale 04-20-2024 08:40 PM

Wasn't worth anything, imho.

Get a foster sound tube instead.

radz28 04-20-2024 09:39 PM

Picked up A LITTLE more whine and is harmless. I'd do it again.

AZIROC 04-21-2024 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 (Post 11419707)

Same here. Took mine off when the catch can went in. I figured why not. Did it do anything....I doubt it. But it didn't hurt anything either.

Booher 04-21-2024 08:00 AM

I did the same, if you want to remove for heatissues, I say go for it, every little bit counts. But if you're going for sound/whine, it's really a waste of time.

Domo14SS 04-21-2024 11:03 AM

There's a verrrry slight audible difference in SC whine, but definitely not as much as an aftermarket lid. I also had a rotofab as well.

NYTMARE23 04-21-2024 11:18 AM

I feel my CAI gave it more of a noticeable whine than taking off the plate did...not worth removing it if you're looking for "more" whine with a CAI installed.:noidea: