Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front crankshaft seal question. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625165)

chevy pilot 04-27-2024 04:06 AM

Front crankshaft seal question.

Is there enough space in the front to replace the front crankshaft seal,
without removing radiator,coolers and bumper ?

-10 L99 engine.

morepowerjoe 04-28-2024 06:41 AM

I think you might have to take the fans out and I always take the front cover off to do the seal. I'm just not sure about lining up the seal with the front cover on. Another thing you might want to consider is getting an arp bolt for the hormonic balancer so you don't have to mess with the torque to yeld crap on the factory bolt.

chevy pilot 04-28-2024 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks.

Btw.Do you mean cover=timing cover ?
So it's worth getting the whole front gasket set.

morepowerjoe 04-28-2024 07:57 AM

Yes timing cover. And yeah I would get the set. And just in case you don't know there is two bolts that go form the oil pan to the timing cover that are a pain to get to.

chevy pilot 04-28-2024 08:05 AM

Ok.

bsn 04-28-2024 12:30 PM

You can replace just the front seal without removing anything but the harmonic balancer and belts.

Tommi 04-30-2024 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn (Post 11421631)
You can replace just the front seal without removing anything but the harmonic balancer and belts.

Yes it can be done. But it can be little difficult to install the new seal properly. In my car the seal had been hammered in too deep, broken a piece from the cover behind the seal. Those liitle aluminium pieces found their way to oil pump, jammed the max pressure regulator piston in open position and I got zero oil pressure.

If I had to do it, I would be extra carful when installing the new seal.

bsn 04-30-2024 05:08 PM

These cars have a ton of room it's not hard at all to replace the front seal, the worst thing is getting the AC belt back on-easy once you get the feel for it. The seal is a simple rubberized press in-it just gets tapped in-if you broke the inner lip you were using way too much force.

Tommi 05-02-2024 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn (Post 11422175)
These cars have a ton of room it's not hard at all to replace the front seal, the worst thing is getting the AC belt back on-easy once you get the feel for it. The seal is a simple rubberized press in-it just gets tapped in-if you broke the inner lip you were using way too much force.

I agree, too much force. I dont know who did it. It had oil leak from the seal when i bought the car, planned to fix the seal some day but the day came sooner because the oil pressure issuea.