Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   DiabloSport Trinity Question? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92672)

SARDAN 06-30-2010 11:42 PM

DiabloSport Trinity Question?

In the great state of california its a little hard to get a hold of 93 octane that the tuner best works with. So i'm sure there is a disadvantage to runnung 91 octane, will it still work correctly? Can i get octane booster everyfill up, will that work and what kind if so? thanks for any help.

2010IBMSS 07-01-2010 01:16 AM

the programmer is specifically programed for the octane rating, for example if you install the diablo tune, you should run 93 octane because the timing tables are set for the 93 octane, if you run 91 it will ping slightly that you won't even notice...install the 91 octane tune on it, then run a log, download DSlogredux and make the changes needed to be dialed in...

have you visited the diablosport website? plenty of good info on the forums there too.

oh, and I heard that adding octane boosters at every fill up will kill your catalytic converters....just a thought.

mlee 07-01-2010 01:22 AM

If you only have 91 available then load the 91 tune... simple as that. If you were getting a tuned in a shop it would be tuned to 91 also.

I guarantee you will not notice the difference between the 93 and 91 tune, but your car will run better.

RedJewel2SS 07-01-2010 12:24 PM

i disagree, there is a noticable difference between the 93 and 91 octane tunes.

i live in an area that mainly sells 91 octane, but if i drive 30 miles outside of town i can get 93.

i have used both the 91 tune with 91 octane fuel in the car and the 93 tune with 93 octane fuel in the car. the 93 octane simply has more power behind it.

it all has to do with the timing. with 93 octane you can advance the timing to give you more hp.

now i have also ran 91 octane fuel with the 93 octane tune. i still got the acceleration, but at high RPMs and when i first floor it, the car was pulling a lot of timing because of the lower grade fuel.

you will feel a noticable difference between the 2, but if you can only get ahold of 91 octane fuel, then your stuck with it.

Duke 07-01-2010 12:49 PM

Oh my...Tulsa is 'a slut" spelled backwards. :bolt:

SARDAN 07-01-2010 01:18 PM

Thanks for the help, just doing a little research before i spend 600 bucks, i like all the other features the trinity has but just trying to see if it is worth it. Please let me know of your expirences with it, thanks.

OnkelMatze 07-01-2010 01:55 PM

I use the Trinity and spent the extra money for a custom tune;
after installing it my car feels a little more aggressive, fuel consumtion is slightly less as before
my opinion: custom tune is worth the money, especially when you did some mods