View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy hunter View Post
Just a little insight...…the reason most of the better drivers will upshift to 2nd and stay there, in most cases, is due to balance.

When you're in first (or any gear for that matter) in higher RPM levels, any small input can disrupt/upset the car's balance due to the "jerk" like motion it creates. In 2nd gear, while you may not feel as fast, the fluidity helps to stabilize the balance and thus you're not having to try and make corrections to "catch" the car. This all translates into faster times out on the course. There is a lot more to this, but that is a basic reason in rudimentary form.
Suggestion
After making a run yourself, I would strongly recommend asking a fellow (competitive) F-body driver if you could ride along on one of their runs to see how this is put into practice. I PROMISE you that this will open your eyes on how the car needs to be driven in autocross...……. you can also look on YouTube - plenty of videos there, but it is nowhere near the same as being in the seat.

Good luck and have fun ! !

I have autoX a many different cars. the only car i ever downshifted to 1st was an S2000. That was in tight turns and that car just had no torque.

This LT1 has all the power and torque you need to pull out in 2nd without downshifting. Like trophy hunter said, it also help keep the car balanced and the power under the wheels.

Feel free to check out my videos!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote