View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #34
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Not exactly. The point is to optimize the weight transfer vs. time curve for the tire being used. It doesn't increase peak grip, but the lateral acceleration vs. time plot will have more area under the curve with an optimized damper.

Tuning the DSC module, much like the OEM tuning the factory MRC, requires a non-trivial amount of telemetry on top of very skilled test driver feedback. You can get a setup to get great lap times at the expense of being enjoyable for the driver (for a variety of reasons), and vice versa.

When I tested the DSC module at Grattan, I had 4 pre-made tunes that all took different philosophical directions. I loaded each one for each session, chose the one that A) had the best lap times and B) had the best driver feedback, and then pushed forward on that path to improve both throughout the weekend. This had been preceded by weeks of street-tuning. In all I ended up with over 30 positive tune revisions before calling DSC and kindly asking for a refund, which they graciously did. At best I was able to match my OEM controller's lap time at the expense of the car feeling floaty and reactive. It wasn't fun to drive. The out-of-the-box tune put me 5 seconds off my usual pace. I am an instructor for Great Lakes Lotus Club and I have 13 years of HPDE experience on top of 9 years of national-level R/C racing, including a state championship.

Further proof that GM pretty much nailed the MRC tuning on the 1LE. DSC may make certain cars better (they get high marks in the Porsche world), but it doesn't seem to help the 6th Gen. Camaro's.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote