View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #69
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
So the Silverado SS was a true SS?

Having SS badging doesn't mean there has to be a V8 under the hood. Especially moving forward when forced inducted 6 cylinders are replacing NA V8's. The Cobalt SS T/C was worthy of the SS badge. The Malibu SS and Silverado SS were not. It's GM learning the lesson with the SS is why you see the increase use of the RS badging as my understanding, RS was always an appearance package more so than a power/performance package. A Blazer SS can be worthy of the SS badge if given the 3.0TT V6 and the necessary suspension to handle that power and handling( for a CUV).
To me it the Silverado was. I'll give you that one, in that technically you don't have to have a v8 under the hood, as in the sixties quite a few lower level 'SS cars did have 6 cyl. engines. Yes, the 2005 Malibu SS was a sacrilege as well to the memory and legend of the SS name as well as early Malibus. You don't have to have blazing power either, because also in the 1960s you saw some models with power ranges between 250 and 285 hp. The legend of the SS, however, was established by large v8s with blistering power, starting with the first 'SS in '61. Thus is why I say that if you are looking to make a statement with a new car with the 'SS badging, then you will need to at least have a v8(not just power). Plenty of cars have come and gone (from Chevrolet and others) that didn't have a v8 and have had outstanding performance without the need of attaching an SS badge or any acronym. We have a couple in GM right now at this writing that can demonstrate outstanding performance. If you are going to put on the legendary badge, one should pay homage to its heritage.

Edit: My DD is an example. I was so relieved at the thought that Chevy finally learned their lesson by not putting an SS badge on it. Its sedate looking except for the rims and dual cat back, and quiet but (at the risk of tooting my own horn) it can move, it can maneuver, and its not that bad to look at. I am really weary of some of Chevy's efforts as of late, and a half baked 'SS model without the legendary sound, feel, smell and go of a v8 under the hood won't make things better for me.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote