View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #84
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
The recent track day was a lot of fun. Its very different from track days in the states, in that everything is a lot less structured and everyone kind of just works with each other with out worrying about a time table. We were put in to groups A B C, but after a while the organizers just let anyone on the track when it was clear to go. In the context of Chinese culture I think it worked very well. Part of the reason that this worked out is that their timing equipment wasn't working so it was purely for fun and to improve your own skill without the pressures of who is faster or beating a time. There were no problems, the slower cars always made way for the quicker ones and there was a lot of smiling and laughing. Only about 5 of the 30 drivers had previous track experience so it was a learning experience for most of the drivers there.

At the end we did some drag racing and my V6 lost every race. In my defense all the races that I chose to do, I was up against heavily modified light weight turbocharged cars. We just all drove to the straight away, picked a contender and off we went.

In the states, usually I see a lot of Miatas, Focus, and maybe some Corvettes out on the track. In China its a little bit different. While those cars are sold here the cars that I saw at this track day (and the few others I have participated in China) are vastly different from what Americans would expect to see at an event...

Finally, I don't know if this will open up in the US, but here is the video that was made by the sponsor, CARBEN. The founders of CARBEN were there and this was the first event they put on. According to them CARBEN is like an instagram for cars in China, so this event was to get more publicity and content for their company which I am fine with. They stress safely and to take racing off the streets and on to the track. They also would like to hear about my experiences participating in track days and auto crosses in the states to see if they can make their next event even better.

https://www.xinpianchang.com/a10414904
Attached Images

rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote