View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #68
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Whatever a next gen Camaro, or a reborn pony car has for performance, the most important thing it has to have is looks; period. In order to survive, it has to have great visual appeal to reach the wider market base it used to have. The popularity of trucks and SUV's is a clue as to where the mindset of the current marketplace is at; they want easy ingress/egress and usable space. Small, cramped space that you have to contort yourself to get in and out of just doesn't appeal to that wider market base.

The original pony cars were essentially just sporty bodies on passenger car chassis for the most part. They were a huge success. That same formula can work to a degree, allowing for necessary changes for crash safety and such. A reborn pony car can be mostly parts bin under the skin; as long as it has decent performance (not award-winning track performance) anything beyond that won't matter to the vast majority of the marketplace. What WILL matter is how it looks; both outside and inside. I know that's not what the performance enthusiasts and hard-core Camaro fans want to hear, but it's easier to develop higher performance models if there's a bread-and-butter model that's selling well and bringing in the money to create the high performance versions.

The new C8 shows what GM can do IF THEY HAVE A VISION for doing it, and a team that works together to make that happen. The exact same thing can happen for the Camaro on a less-sophisticated (and less costly) scale.

If anybody who contributes to this thread can come up with a great looking car, the rest is much easier believe it or not. I think a couple of options would be good; a standard V6 and V8 model, and an electric model since that's where GM wants to go. Those are two different design and style challenges. Work on looks first; decide what a reborn pony car could look like as an ICE concept, and a separate one as an EV concept. Try to avoid trendy; that just says "I can't come up with anything original so I'll copy what others are doing". Let's see what ideas people have. Kudos to those who've already started contributing!
If the 6th gen Camaro looked more like the C8 Corvette then the 5th gen Camaro they would have sold a lot more that's for sure . They can't and won't screw up next time .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote