View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #143
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
The problem is that it seems to affect most ZL1s. I swear the 2 other 2018s I drove (an A10 and an M6) before I ordered mine did it. Mine did it on day one — or as soon as I started making pulls from freeway speeds. Definitely not a problem with the clutches in the diff or anything. Mine has no problem roasting a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials at the strip.

I’m not 100% sure yet, but I think mine’s been cured. I aligned my car early on (~1500 miles) and it didn’t go away. So I figured it must be some weird software thing with the diff. It would really only do it nailing it from a roll at certain speeds. No problems at the drag strip on my 10.79 pass.

Fast forward 3000 miles, and I decided to align my car again. This time on our brand new Hunter machine we use for Porsche’s. Shit was toe’d out in the rear, and had massive front toe in. We were having calibration problems with our old Hunter machine for several years, so I don’t really know what the deal is. I’m guessing the alignment I did on the old machine was always off. That or it somehow moved on it’s own. But rear toe out can definitely cause stability problems under WOT. I’ve seen that on M3s back in the day.

Don’t want to knock on wood, but I haven’t been able to reproduce it since. My car loses traction really easily, so it’s sometimes a little hard to tell.
Keep hammering on it to see if the new alignment cured the wiggle and report back to us man!

That wiggle in the rear at highway pulls is a buzz kill for me since it’s really one of the few times I beat on the car. I don’t do road course so it’s twisty back roads and highway pulls for me.

I don’t see myself keeping this car forever like I want to if I can’t figure this wiggle out.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote