View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
I wish I knew how the MGW compares to the Barton.. I am generally happy with the Barton but if the MGW is that much better I would consider. I can see the Barton still notchy at times but much improvement over stock.

Anyone have experience with both?
No experience with a Barton, but increased notchiness is a common trade-off when you shorten up the shift throws. Though some shifters seem to reach a better compromise than others. Keep in mind also that some people can tolerate more notchiness than others. Or even prefer it.

FWIW, I've got an MGW in my GT, so that'd be my recommendation as well. Though since I personally hate notchiness, I actually fabbed up an extension piece to reduce notchiness without sacrificing the greater precision over the OEM pieces.

A weighted shift knob helps the shift lever keep moving once you've got the shift motion started (it's an inertia thing), and I guess you could say it sort of absorbs some of the notchiness as it helps your right arm power through it. I'm pretty sure that it's possible to overdo this 'weighting' thing, though.

Norm