View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #4
Bubbafire88

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss A6 "Chief"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
there is no reason to remove the engine to do the stuff you stated. Unless the shop needs the room and the car can't stay in there while you do this. Honestly, what you are wanting to do can be done in a day.

I swapped cams a couple of times using this thread:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

In order to determine how much to mill, you have to do some math. it is .006 per cc. Decide what compression you want and then figure out how much you have to remove.

Your CR is already 10.4:1. I wouldn't go too much higher if any. You didn't state what type of fuel you'll be running.

For the heads, I would do just enough to clean the surface up and make sure they are flat. I doubt you can mill enough to get a noticeable increase in power without starting to worry about PTV clearance.

You didn't mention it, but you will need a tune after doing this stuff.
i Thought that removing the engine would just be an easy way to get to everything easier and to get to the converter which im replacing. i will be running the go ole` 93 octane.

So you recommend just milling the heads to get a clean surface to work on not necessarily a compression increase, i am starting to debate if it would even be worth it to mill the heads a lot becasue i would need new pushrods etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
If you are hand porting the heads, be careful. It's very easy to remove too much too quickly on aluminum.

Not sure if you have long tube headers, but you will see as much gain from a set of headers as you will from the cam or porting.

Milling heads for compression is a bit old school. You won't get more than a couple 10ths increase and a full point increase in compression increases hp by about 3%. Not worth it IMO.

Stock valves can only take .560 to .580 lift, so be sure your cam does not have more lift than that unless you are replacing springs. I have an ASA cam in a stock spring engine and it's pretty aggressive. There are a couple others. If you are replacing springs, you can go with a bigger cam and get more power than milling heads would bring.

When you get to the drive train class, put a 3.91 gear in it and you will really be getting quick. All of this will make your mileage suck, btw.
Right now it is FBO long tubes intake etc. with the cam i got everything for a full l99 to ls3 swap (lifters, springs etc.)

I am definitly planning to get 3.91 gears im the car thats for sure. Milage will suck but for all that power and a bit of chop now that worth it IMO

Both of yall seem to be against the head milling strictly for compression and are partial to milling the head for a clean surface, with that info i believe i will just do the milling for a clean surface instead of added conpression
Bubbafire88 is offline   Reply With Quote