View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 06:03 AM   #20
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan View Post
Keeping my eyes peeled on this post , as this che bushings were going to be my next purchase so I could avoid needle bearings throughout me engine ...now I'm unsure how wise it is.
You have nothing to worry about with any of the bushed trunnion options. This isn't a dig at Smith Bros. in any way - I'm completely satisfied with their part and how it performed. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. A bronze bushing, in any application, should be considered a wear item. For this application, replacing a roller bearing on a rocker arm that's also now seeing more lift, more rpm, and more spring pressure, it's very reasonable to expect that part to wear over time. I see no reason why it should last the life of an aftermarket dual valve spring - and probably the safest plan there is to inspect and replace as needed when doing valve spring maintenance.

Like 1JEWLDSSRS and I discussed on the phone the other day, the CHE is a full floating design, and has a different oiling strategy than the Smith Bros. Mostly, the only real benefit there is probably that it's easier to install without having to press in and out trunnions. However, there may be some benefit to the full floating design having the ability to migrate around and let high load wear surface (bottom of the bushing) see the entire bushing, rather than being fixed to the rocker. They may not do that once they have spring pressure on them anyways, so that might be moot. It'll be interesting to see how 1JEWLDSSRS's parts look with close to 30k on them. If they are are clean, then I think we can say the CHE is a decisive advantage, but I would guess they'll be showing some wear, just like the Smith Bros.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote