Thread: Cooling fans
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I hate to contradict your mechanic because I know you trust him, but that is NOT how they operate! Here's how it works:

The engine cooling fan system consists of 2 electric cooling fans and 3 fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel (S/P) configuration that allows the engine control module (ECM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans receive positive voltage from the cooling fan relays which receive battery positive voltage from the underhood fuse block.

In low speed operation, the ECM applies ground to the coil side of the cooling fan low speed relay. This energizes the coil and applies voltage directly to the right cooling fan through the switch side of the low speed relay. The right cooling fan is connected in series to the left cooling fan through the de-energized series/parallel (S/P) cooling fan speed control relay. The series circuit operates both fans at low speed.

In high speed operation, the ECM applies a ground to the coil side of the cooling fan low speed relay, the S/P cooling fan speed control relay, and the cooling fan high speed relay. When energized, the high speed fan relay applies voltage directly to the left cooling fan through the switch side of the relay. Simultaneously, the low speed fan relay and the S/P speed control relay provide ignition voltage and a direct path to ground for the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have their own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.
So in my situation I could have the high speed relay out?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote