Thread: Bad O2 sensors?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2023, 08:49 PM   #13
Stormo

Drives: 45th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Not sure why your bank 1 reads different than 2. Looks like 1 goes just as rich (about the same voltage) as 2 but just doesn't go as lean. One of my banks (1 I think) of my V6 runs richer than the other as well as per the long and short term fuel trends, so not sure if that's a GM thing or what.

The P0420 is a permanent code and once set can only be cleared when the ECU sees the right conditions for some amount of time/number of driving cycles. Not sure if disabling via HP Tuners would hide the code from emissions testing stuff or if the code would still be in some memory that the testing stuff can see (guessing the latter is the case). Maybe do some searches on the HP Tuners forum to see if someone knows.

I would try cleaning the cat if it's easy enough to do. The more clear cells for exhaust to pass through the better it'll clean. Maybe a restricted cat could make sensor 1 show less lean if there's more exhaust (and fuel) near the sensor.
I'll assume that the difference in rich/lean between the banks is normal then, from you and the fact I never got a code from it.

I dont have Jack stands, and I have inspections/emissions in a day. I wanted to get it checked legitimately just incase anything else fails, though I know they'll flag the cats, or just won't check the ECU and assume everything is OK. I'm not sure what the exact procedure is, because I've seen it done different at the couple shops I've seen it done.

I did a quick check around and on ebay, ebay seems to have a couple reproduction cats for less than a $1000 a set. I don't want just the cats, as I don't know how to weld, nor have the tools and don't wanna spend another 300-600 bucks for someone else to weld it. So I was looking for ones that are complete, with pipe n all. I have a feeling these ebay ones work enough, but aren't good for long term (which I'm ok with because my plans for the car are still skewed). I also saw magnaflow made some for close to $6000 which just absolutely boggles my mind.

I guess what I'm asking is, are these reproduction cat sets that are "made in canada" any good? They have some reviews, but you know how legit online reviews are nowadays l.
Stormo is offline   Reply With Quote