View Single Post
Old 09-24-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestormoverkrynn View Post
Need some advice guys, Recently installed AR Headers on a 2021 zl1 1le.. The guy that installed it for me said i could drive it around without a tune. I did so for about a week and found the car wasn't running correct. When i took it to the track, guys there advised me not to run it like that. To get it a tune. So the original shop that did the headers, doesn't have a guy in house to do a tune. So i took it to another shop, the new shop dynoed it and tuned. Elated with a new tune i was a bit overzealous and somehow without even being at the track i blew the supercharger. Took it back to GM who advised the tune was too aggressive and likely blew the supercharger. The guy that did the tune said there was no way his tune blew the supercharger, that likely it was faulty, that these zl1s could take way more of a beating than what i put it through. Claimed i didn't even have it pullied down. That there was no way the tune did that.

First question, in all your experiences, who is lying? Stealership or the guy that did the tune?

Second question has anyone had experience with rebuilt blowers? How long do they last? Can i abuse them?

Third question, should i bite the bullet and just spend the money on a maggie 2650r?

Andrew
A bad tune can definitely smoke an engine, but not the supercharger. Dealership is wrong, as they are a good bit of the time on modified cars.

You can have it rebuilt…be interested to know exactly what is “blown” on the blower. Changing bearings is pretty common. If you go that route it’d be a good time to have Kong port it.

Maggie 2650 and Whipple 3.0 are both a substantial improvement over the stock blower.