Thread: Cybertruck
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Did you watch the video? The truck is freaking amazing.
Yeah I did. There's a lot of impressive stuff going on under the skin of the Cyber truck. It's amazing as a marvel of engineering, or it's amazing because it's so stupid fast (at least, in "Cyberbeast" trim). It's not necessarily "freaking amazing" as a truck. It offers impressive towing and payload. In other areas, I think the Rivian, or regular ICE trucks from the big three are better, when being used for truck stuff.

I can be honest with myself and just say that the thing is butt freaking ugly, and the interior is just as bad. I wish I could understand why Tesla went with this design, when having all of the same features (perhaps minus the "bullet proof" BS) would have resulted in not alienating half or more of potential buyers, just based on the styling alone.

The only people that will buy this thing are 1) "Look at me!" rich boy crowd. 2) I don't care it looks like poo, I just want one (Tesla fanatic or EV fanatic) group 3) the five people in America that actually think it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Jason Cammisa’s video review https://youtu.be/L6WDq0V5oBg?si=HW7M-X3URRtTJf0C includes a spot where Randy Pobst hits a stainless steel refrigerator with a sledgehammer, denting it. Then he hits the Cybertruck with the same sledgehammer. Not even a scratch. Fast forward to 17:45 in the video.

Then they show an actual crash sled test where the Cybertruck is struck at 90 degrees (direct broadside) with the equivalent of a small SUV traveling at 33.5 mph. Minimal damage and the glass didn’t shatter. The doors would have to be replaced. That’s about it.

Really impressive.
It is impressive.

....and what about when just the doors aren't smashed? What if the rear quarter is hit? It isn't going to do the EV folk any favors in terms of insurance costs, which by the way, appear to be climbing like crazy for many Rivian owners based on a recent thread I read on the Rivian forums. Really cutting into those gas savings. (like that really ever mattered to these buyers)