Thread: EV Evalauation
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 12:01 PM   #11
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Everything I need a car for EV's do terribly. First one is towing, and second one is as a track car (not drag strip).

So far the electric trucks have poor towing performance, and the charging infrastructure is mostly unfriendly to vehicles towing a trailer. If the towing is local, no problem, but most towing is longer distance.

Likewise, there hasn't been a good electric track car yet. The existing ones are too heavy, or overheat after a couple laps. That said, Teslas do very well at autocross - I autocross frequently and it is common for a prepared Tesla Model 3 to have top time of the day.

In the medium term, some manufacturer could release an electric sports car with a modest battery pack (so that the car isn't overweight) which can complete a modest track session - perhaps 5-10 laps - and have rapid charging, so that it can be easily recharged between sessions. But that vehicle hasn't arrived yet. I don't know if there's much of a market for that yet, given the plethora of existing ICE cars that are well-suited to track duty.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote