View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 06:19 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Years ago, maybe 10 or more, I watched a video made by a tech college professor where they took some crappy little car and ran it on various fuels. The car had a manually adjustable timing retard/advance box to compensate for the ignition of various fuels and fuel combos.

I was really intrigued by the use of regular gasoline supplemented with hydrogen. They found that using hydrogen as a supplemental fuel cleaned up the emissions quite a bit and increased mileage at the same time. It made me wonder if it might be possible to eliminate catalysts in a car because the emissions were lowered so much. Fuel economy in both gas and diesel vehicles is hurt by the need to add extra fuel to make the system work. In OTR trucks for example, it costs 1MPG. Not much if it was a car, but for a OTR Truck that gets 7MPG, thats huge!
Hydrogen in an ICE is still combustion. So if the goal, and California mandate, is zero emission vehicles, hydrogen in ICE doesn’t work. And simply as early as we are in EV infrastructure, hydrogen is much worse.