View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 12:38 PM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Hey thanks for asking. I'll start by saying I currently have at minimum 3 road course days planned/booked for this year. I just got through break in so I have not done any in my current car. If I were to get a GT500 it definitely would not be roadcoursed. I am aware that it is a terrible platform for that.
The current 1LE SS is actually just about identical in terms of the 5th gen Z/28 on tracks (for the most part) so it's actually a fantastic car for it.

Quote:
I am regretting the 1LE a little bit for two reasons:

1) It's my first new car. I am very easily affording it however I feel like I bet "wrong" and a new car was not the smart way to go. Originally when used cars went up in value I predicted that they would fall by mid to late 2023. Unfortunately at some point last year I decided my prediction would be incorrect and that the market would stay as is. Well turns out my original prediction was correct. The market is now really low on my car (all used cars). Had I waited I could have purchased a used 6th Gen ZL1. I've never been one to eat the depreciation on a new car so that is why I am considering getting rid of the car if I can find a buyer willing to meet my price.
So I can actually understand this part, but I also would say that any ZL1 that you would get in a similar price range is still going to be almost certainly out of warranty/possibly beat to hell. I mean, I've seen 2-3 year old cars going for new car prices in many areas, so I can't say I've seen what you've seen. Now, if you're just looking for a track car, you would probably be correct in saying you'd have found something probably better/cheaper.

Quote:
2) Last week I somehow remembered being blown away by the torque of my first 6th gen SS I owned. That car actually got me into roadcoursing because of how damn good this platform is at that. Of course me being a car guy I am now used to the LT1. I thought I would be okay buying a car that isn't an upgrade in a straight line but I was wrong. I want that feeling again of being blown away by the torque of the car I'm driving. I always felt the 1LE is underpowered. The chassis is so good GM did this car wrong by not giving this car another 50 - 100 hp. GM guys can hate Ford all they want but this is something Ford kicks GM's ass at. The boss 302, GT350, Mach 1, Dark Horse are all handling specialty Mustangs that received a HP bump. The 1LE and Grandsport just have the base V8 with no power added.

I thought about modding but I've seen too many issues with modded cars on this forum. I just feel like if I were to get back into modding cars again the Ford platforms are 10000% easier to make power out of and more reliable (GT350 aside).

I seem to be really craving more power AND the muscle car feeling again. The 6th gen camaro is sooo good there's just no drama when you plant your foot. It just hooks up and goes. I kinda like the s197's nature to spin the wheels a bunch before it goes haha. I miss the muscle car feeling I guess.

I also acknowledge that I'll probably get used to the GT500's HP but I'd only be a pulley swap away from 100 more HP. I may forget craving more power after my first track day in June because of how magical this platform with the FE4 suspension is but if used prices rise back up in spring it will be very hard for me not to list my car for sale. With the GT500, I know the only depreciation that car will see is due to miles as I don't believe that car will go down in price any further due to its age. I only drive my fun cars about 3-4k miles a year.
Now, in this respect, I get it. I owned a 2018 ZL1, wanted a little more oomph, decided to sell it during COVID, and went up to a Redeye Challenger. More power, more power, more whine, and then it became gotta watch out for every puddle of water, can't take the ramps at certain speeds, and forget about traction most days....

There are always issues modding any car truthfully. Some get lucky, some don't, and some find minor issues no matter what they do. I bought my then new 2018 ZL1 and within the first 5500 miles I had to replace the Supercharger blow off valve, the ECM, and the oil pump....

The 6th gen Camaro is arguably one of the greatest performance platforms you can find in any car for the money. It's well balanced, it handles both power and drives like a champ to boot. You are right though, it's not as in your face burn out like those older cars (5th Gen Z/28, ZL1, GT 500, Hellcats).

Based on what I'm hearing you're probably better off just selling the 1LE and going after the older car. Or, perhaps consider selling it and trying to find a slightly used ZL1...

I'm now back in a 23 ZL1 so I can tell you the platform is WELL worth it