View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #1760
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
What would Apple do with the OBD data?

I don't mind subscriptions that enhance the experience, but don't absolutely cripple the use of the car. Like I do pay for Tesla's connectivity plan. It's nice to have and I view it as worth it. But if I need to cut back and cancel it, I don't lose functionality. The Tesla equivalent to what GM is doing would be if you don't pay for the connectivity plan is you lose the ability to navigate to superchargers, have the car automatically do it as part of its routing logic, tell you how many are available, and pre-condition the battery for supercharging.

Now all GM is doing by removing Carplay/Android Auto and the pay to use the nav system is making people continue to use their phones to navigate, but now do it in riskier manner while driving.

It's going to bomb much like BMW trying to charge people every month to use their heated seats.
There are a number of things Apple could do with the OBD data. They intend to offer reconfigurable dashboards for the vehicles that use a next generation of CarPlay. They would need the OBD data to control it. They would also have detail on how people use certain aspects of the vehicle and could then develop for pay apps based on what they learn. And let’s not forget, until last week they were developing their own vehicles. If you ‘re a car manufacturer it would be totally awesome to have large data models of your competitors vehicle systems.

We have a Tesla Model Y. It’s mind boggling how many accessories for Tesla are plug and play into the OBD ports. The Tesla is primarily my wife’s daily as well as the family grocery getter. Two things both of us disliked about the car is that there is nothing in front of the driver. No instrument panel, no status display. Nothing. Also, Tesla has never supported CarPlay / Android Auto. But, for about $250 I was able to buy an instrument panel that sits in front of the driver and pulls all the car data from the OBD port. It connects to our cell phones via Bluetooth and provides CarPlay and Android Auto. Two birds, one big stone. Took about 30 minutes to install. There are tons of similar accessories that plug into either of the two OBD ports that are easily accessible.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote