View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 03:26 PM   #8
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Pretty sure GM has its butt covered here. Note in the article GM says you have to have accepted it 3 times. Of course the first is telling your insurance company “no”. Now if your insurance company sparks in a way that sounds like, “would you like to enroll in a safe driver program to help save you money?” Then that’s part of he problem. The other is if you just down load the app you are likely enrolling automatically if you don’t know to un enroll from he start.

I am going through he EXACT same thing with my new VW. And you should read who they are just selling your contact information to.

This is not just GM or OnStar. It’s every OEM with connected vehicles and services. It’s only a matter of whether they are more transparent than GM seems to be.
Wouldn't worry about it. I have it on good authority that it's not happening and just an interwebs conspiracy theory.

Quote:
Ok to be clear GM is not selling YOUR data. They might be selling a collective of data, e.g. pickup truck drivers do x,y or z. They are not selling data for John Doe unless John Doe agreed to it. Now we can look at how easy it is to get you to agree, but unless you do GM is not ratting you out.

When I worked there and wanted to access the data it was VERY clear if I got any data, it would be about a car but I COULD NOT see customer data or location.

That being said, your data is hugely valuable. It’s why Google is worth so much for a free product. Same for FB and, yes, as pointed out your phone. And Ultifi will allow GM to be more like Tesla and not only collect but send data.

So be very careful what you overtly or inadvertently agree to. I have had many letters from State Farm “want a lower rate?” Just give us access to your OnStar. Nope!
Quote:
Pretty sure YOUR data is not sold by OnStar.

Your Camaro may be part of Camaro data sold but data for your car and you is not identifiable.

But that is counter to he conspiracy theory and the internet so carry on.
Current mileage: 313

Last edited by Junction65; 03-20-2024 at 07:02 AM.
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote