View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 01:52 PM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I would think GM is not specifically liable for what insurance companies do with the data. That's akin to holding banks responsible for what you do with your money. Or gun companies responsible for making a gun used in a crime.

What GM MAY be responsible for is collecting and sharing data it has no right to share because it could, as apparently in this case, cause financial loss to someone's wallet due to shared information that was not agreed upon by the plaintiff to share in the first place.

It seems they signed him up for data collection/sharing when he already apparently declined it. Regardless if it was free or not. Then, unbeknownst to him, he gets penalized by insurance companies based on this data. That seems to be the crux of the situation as I read it.

Same sorta thing happened when we bought the wife's Cadillac. They hit the OnStar buttton and started the sign up process right there in the parking lot. Before, I'd do it at my convenience. I kinda didn't appreciate that.

I've been bouncing around the idea of canning OnStar anyway. I keep it on the Cadillac for the wife since it's "her" car anyway. I think this pretty much makes up my mind. If it's not there, they can't bother us about it or collect my data. I just got to figure out where that OnStar module is on the car and whether or not I can unplug it safely. They already "unplugged" 5th gen owners whether we liked it or not when going to 4G/5G, so fugg 'em. Got an iPhone that knows where I am and can call 911 for me in a bad crash. So what's OnStar got that iPhone doesn't? It'll be just one less thing probing into my personal business.
To my knowledge, they don't report actual raw data, or at least not ONLY raw data. They pass along THEIR interpretation of what's good and bad. You can drive your Camaro pretty tamely to the store, and it will report a lot of hard acceleration and hard braking events which aren't really worth noting in the first place.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote