View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
RWTD

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
A screen would probably cure the bucking but it would hurt the HP numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
On a side note, have people been inserting OEM style screens in front of the maf to get cleaner readings?
Hey guys, good posts.

I've tested with and without screens to determine if there is a loss of power. The previous style factory GM plastic 85mm MAF (w/ screen) does not pose any loss of power below 500 rwhp Actual, and it may even not above that (to be fair, I haven't tested the factory MAF w/ screen above those power levels). This shows me that there's still sufficient flow through the factory screen, which is more dense than most of the aftermarket screens I've been seeing tested as of late.

With that being said, there is a good thread over on HPT that shows some before/after results with aftermarket screens on guys with larger MAF housings. I'll be testing a few different cars with these screens soon (unfortunately, I don't have any new Camaros lined up at this time, but hopefully that'll change). See here (read the whole thread for before/after results, and the various screens used):

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26546

One of the nice things the screens gave to these guys was even a drop in Hz, which can help on those close to pegging the MAF table limit (that won't be an issue on the the Gen4 vehicles with the 15k Hz limit, like the new Camaros).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Got my vararam 1 week ago and have a Vectormotorsports tune on my L99. Cars runs GREAT. NO bucking serging or anything like that. So far, Im very happy with both !
Not to sound crude, but unfortunately you aren't able to see the bigger picture. A tune can't cause the airflow going through the MAF to straighten up. There is a bigger issue at hand here. What "feels" good isn't best.
RWTD is offline   Reply With Quote