View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #86
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
This is not good enough for me at this point to take the plunge. Even a 30 minute charge is not as quick as simply filling up your tank at any gas station. I'll have to wait until the technology improves before I buy one of these over any gasoline powered vehicle. I also don't like the risks of spontaneous battery explosions which seem to occur with cell phone lithium ion battery packs. A much larger one inside a car can spell trouble if there is any defect.
....and therein lies the irony. I don't blame you for waiting for the technology to come but it won't come if we don't embrace this car. The more folks that buy this car, the faster GM will be able to produce the $20,000/100 mile EV. GM and it's suppliers are not going to continue to throw money at a technology that has come to market but doesn't sell.

The Volt truly has the ability to become the Grand Daddy of everything to come but we as a society have to buy in. Think of this in the same way we think of technology. Remember when a 52 inch plasma flat screen TV used to cost 10 grand? How about when we used to pay 100 bucks for one meg of Ram?