View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I would like to think that any future Camaro would be accepted by all Camaro enthusiasts. I have owned many Corvettes in my numerous years but this ZL1 will be my first Camaro. Hopefully one that I will hold on to until I no longer have the strength to press the clutch. I fell in love with the initial design and sat back knowing/wishing that Chevy would build a true HiPo version of the car. The ZL1 fulfills my every wish and then some. Every major component that I wanted and wished for in a factory Camaro came to life in the ZL1. I am sure that the engine will come in between 550 and 570HP, the magnetic suspension was something I did not think the Camaro would get. They beefed up the drive line, added HUD and made the car look stunning and aggressive. I simply cannot be happier unless they bring the car to market sooner. I am not sure if I am in your 1% or 99% group but I am very proud of the job that the Chevy team did and continues to do on this car.
Bottom line, GM is saving the best for last. The ZL1 will be a great car, I wish I was able to talk about the ZL1 in depth but I cannot. The Z28 will be the highlight of the 5th Gen Camaro and whether or not it is done in collaboration with a redesign is unknown to me. There is obviously a great automotive event happening in 2014, and GM's sleeves have what is needed to damper that event and absorb some of the publicity. There is a strong fanbase under the 5th Gen Camaro, this thread was intended to ease the possibility of a 5th Gen Camaro that does not look like the 5th Gen Camaro that sits in your driveways right now. If the 5th Gen intends to only survive until 2015 then there is no need for a refresh but, wouldn't that be cutting the 5G's life a little short? I think that it has the staying power to make it until the Camaro's 50th anniversary in 2017. The Alpha Caddy won't come out until 2014-2015, I would expect the 6th Gen Camaro to take at least 2 years after the Alpha Caddy and after the Mustang III comes out to really maximize the R&D. A refresh has to happen at some point and what better time to turn up the heat than the release of the 2014 Mustang. GM could always opt to remain outside the pony car market and focus on profit, just remain in their own class for a few years. They could focus on the body work and make the Camaro appear to be smaller than it actually is but seeing the weight increases year over year could make that difficult... the 2012 FE4 Camaro 2SS should weigh close to 3950lbs, the 1SS is close to 4000lbs. That's a pretty heavy benchmark for the ZL1 to start at... We need a lightweight Z28 NOW....

I don't know if your in that 1% or not, I myself could be considered a 1%er... I have owned more Camaro's than most of the members here probably have.. and two plum purple Firebirds (ex-girlfriends idea, not mine).
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote