View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #59
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I think Jeff is an asset to all the new car buyerson here with his assistance on warranty/service issues. GM and the others in the big 3 have been around drag strips noting cars racing for years and denying warranties. I think that was low....but now with the ability to detect the ECM reflash I see no need now to "spy" on the forums for the goal of denying warranties. If a tuner pushed the limits and blew up a motor GM should not have to cover it. It is a rish we take. Just as wen years ago my youngest daughter put my wifes new C5 vette into the wall. We did not call the ins co. to try and get it covered with a story, she helpped me get the parts, repair it, and paint it and go riht back to the track on our dime. (and then another of our drivers did the same thing a month later!).

What I don't agree with is some of the nonsense voiding done for a minor mod that has NO negative impact on any covered component. Examples? We had a customer of ours do his own spark plug change (to NGK TR55's)and Cox chev here in Bradenton voided his entire warranty.(punishment we assume for NOT paying them to do it).

He did have cat back exhaust and aftermarket wheels, but they listed it as "un-approved spark plugs". His reaction? Traded the C6 for a new GT500. THAT is what I get offended by.

The examples are few that we have seen personally, but the stories abound of similar experiances.

Having worked as a GM tech & parts manager years ago we MADE $ from warranty work (not as much as non warranty repairs, but still profitable). The biggest issue was doing the paperwork correctly and following up so we got reimbursed timely.

So My hopes are Jeff is here to help more than anything else. Treat the buyer right and you have loyalty that can span generations. Treat them like a sucker at a carnival and the damage done to the car makers rep is huge with todays internet use.