View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #6838
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I used to feel the same way, but then I decided that if some of the yahoo's working in the dealership can do it then I certainly can. It's just a fancy LEGO set, and there's only one way to get experience -- to do it!

I have to ask (in the nicest way possible): if your dad had a race car, how in the world do you not know how to do this stuff?!
My dad isn't exactly the most helpful person in the world. You'd think after building 2 race cars, he would have taken the time to teach me...but he had no interest and or care to. Just not one of those who enjoy to pass on knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
1st Try Engineering in Robinson is a great place to get the labor done. They usually use Ed from Virginia Speed to come up and tune the cars on Wolfpack Speed's dyno.

Another alternative is FJ Performance in Murraysville.

Doing the cam install yourself is relatively easy if you have the right tools. Most shops around here will charge about $400-600 in labor for the cam install alone, then there is tuning.

You will also want valve springs, locks, and retainers unless you are also buying better heads as those components can come pre-installed. I'd also look into a set of better lifters too. May as well replace the timing chain too while you're in there. Also an underdrive pulley might not be a bad idea since the stock crank pulley has to come off to do a cam. You will also want headers if you are doing a cam.
I plan on doing a kit which would be the springs, cam, and everything else included. Would get a new oil pump, timing chain, and the works.

As for headers, you're right, I plan on headers by this fall, cam would be after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav2SS View Post
Yea 1st try is good place. And like Jay said.. do it all at once. I plan to.. someday.. lol I think Jeff their said they had a tuner up there this week possibly.

I hope to do mine myself, or at least with help of some people
When you decide to do yours, I'd appreciate the opportunity to attend to see what needs to be done. Let me know!