View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS785 View Post
I don't know. This thread definately went to hell mid-way through but in the beginning, all the op said was that he was interested in an OTR system since he wasn't convinced by "cai's rethoric" (design, parts or w/e that means).

I wasn't going to elaborate but to be fair (and this is my experience so don't bash me if you don't agree), I was greatly disappointed with the Cai Intake. So many people praise it so highly that it's only fair to share the opposite (I bought it based on the reviews here and now I wonder if many had something to compare it to besides stock or just followed word-of-mouth). The intake looked and fit great but the car felt sluggish compared to my k&n (which most here hate). The box seemed too airtight forcing me to hit the gas harder to get the car going. Idk what it was, it could have been something else but I took it off after several weeks and the car went back to normal.

An aftermarket scoop could have likely solved the issue but I just didn't want to cut away with the dremel to make it work. Comparatively, pulling air from the front grille (OTR) or leaving gaps on the bottom of the box (k&n, warm air or not) seem to help with overall airflow. Regardless of others opinions, professional or not, hardcore fans or sellers, I know how my car feels best and it didn't do it for me.

Conversely, I'm not posting to push people to other makes. IME, Vararam's fit and finish is not that great and neither is k&ns (all intakes have pros and cons). I just want to point out that more options are great and people SHOULD be able to openly praise and criticize products alike, not just a select few.

End of my night essay.
Thank you for the feedback.

Did you disconnect the negative on the battery while you did the install of our CAI? The reason I ask is that your car would have had all the fuel trims adjusted to the other cai, and when you installed ours there would have been a new learning curve to adjust to for the computer. So the small increase in HP from one to another would have been noticed over a course of a few days or what not. Basically even though the difference in HP gains would have been minimal, you never got to feel the full difference at once, and therefore didn't get the full effect of the switch.

Going from one intake to another, most will not to notice a world of difference making the switch. You are literally talking about a change of 1-3 hp, something that you are most likely not going to notice from the butt dyno.

Something else I would like to point out is that both CAI's should have been sealed, and therefore pulling air from the same place. So the volume of air you engine was pulling should have been the same. I am fairly confident the "difference" that you were unable to notice from the switch was not disconnecting the battery during install, only because I have had this exact conversation before and that was the outcome.

Hopefully that information sheds a little light on what may have been the culprit in you not noticing the performance increase you were hoping for after making the switch. But like I said, going from stock to CAI a difference can be noticed pretty easily, going from one CAI to another the gains may be to minimal for you to notice from behind the wheel.

Thank you for giving our CAI a shot.

Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote