View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #40
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I do not have the Trofeo R tires, but I do have Z/28 wheels with a 305/30/19 Hankook RS-3 tire on all 4 corners, (CTS-V brakes, Pedders Springs, Z/28 seat.....)

Fastest lap at Gingerman:
Stock 20"s and 285/35/20 Goodyear Supercar G2: 1:44.41 April 2014
Z/28 19s with the aforementioned RS3s 305/30/19: 1:41.01 Sept 12, 2014
I have 17+ years of racing and instructing experience there, 45K+ miles on the track.

The car does not feel as confidence inspiring at the limit with the 19s as it was so well balanced before. It feel as if I have hit the limit of the stock damper/Pedders spring suspension and it would benefit from stiffer springs.
Matt,
So with your experience and engineering background do you have any theories as to why the lighter and wider wheel set up would cause the car to feel less balanced? I'm just trying to understand the dynamics going on here. Everyone always touts that less unsprung mass and less rotating mass will make the car handle better and your lap time does show an improvement but yet you state that the car feels less confidence inspiring and not as well balanced. I'm curious as to what dynamic is going on that stiffer springs will help overcome? Not questioning your results just trying to understand the bigger picture here on what's going on.

Oh and since I know you did not like the factory seats at all how much more did you like the Z/28 seat? It would be nice to know how much of an improvement the Z/28 seats are for keeping you planted in your seat.

Thanks.