Thread: Winterizing
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
I have ran a Car Storage business for 25 years now. In all my years of watching owners do what they feel is right for their car I have never seen a wrong approach. From the guys who seal their seal their cars in air tight bags with moisture absorbing packets by the dozens to the guy who just parks it, pulls the Battery and throws a few bed sheets over it...they all have fired right up in the spring and were enjoyed for an other summer.

The most important thing is to keep the temperature the consistent. Keep the mice out of the building. Cover the car and put a trickle charger on it or disconnect the battery.

Mice are the biggest problem. Our building is sealed and clean and the only time I get Mice is from people bringing their cars in. Before I accept a car I ask the owner if they have a Cat, Dog or Bird and ask them where they keep their food? If they answer in the garage 5 out of 10 will have Mice in them. Thus every car gets a few good old fashion snap mouse traps in them. I don't believe in poison after all they crawl back to their nest and die. At least with a trap I know they are there and I can dispose of them.

One other thing to consider in the snow belt is the condition of the building. Every once and a while I'll get a call to take a car that was in a building where the roof collapsed under the weight of the snow. Grandma's old pole shed might be cheap but is it safe?

Personally I store my cars at 50°. Anything with Fuel Injection (modern car) gets a trickle charger. Older cars I disconnect the battery. Air the tires to normal psi but I do park them on a piece of cardboard. They all get covered and I just leave them sit until it is time to drive them again.

Fuel is the main enemy to storage. Stable and Sea Foam for me with non-oxy fuel. 3/4-7/8 of a tank simply because I have seen cars with full tanks come in from the cold and when they warm up they push a little fuel out. Not a good thing in a tight building.
Attached Images

Last edited by 4 FN 27; 10-17-2015 at 09:06 AM.
4 FN 27 is offline   Reply With Quote